Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Common core. Love it? Hate it? Indifferent? Why? This is in my sons school (2nd grade) has this. It's only been a few weeks and I'm not sure what I think yet. He's always been so far above grade level that I'm not 100% sure how this is going to affect him.
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Replies (31-40):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I don't think our state has officially adopted it yet, but I get the feeling our district is starting w/ it already. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

Dd is in the high ability class for her grade, and we're concerned she might not continue to get the more advanced instruction/work she needs.

Ds2 has just missed being placed in the high ability class for his grade the past few yrs, and we're always concerned that he'll end up bored. (He complained of that at the end of 1st gr, but hasn't since- he's in 4th now)

We're always concerned about ds1. He does ok in some classes, struggles in others- partly b/c he's just not a strong in those areas, partly b/c he tries to take the lazy way out.

k1kelley
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM

CC is just being implemented this year at DD's school. (She is in 2nd grade.) They have an Open House this Thursday, so I will find out more about it then. I don't know much about it right now to make an informed opinion.

Nutball3
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Wow I sign off to work for a few hours and voila! My worry is probably selfish. My son is very advanced for his age and extremely bored in school. He's in 2nd grade but doing 3-4 grade reading and math. He read half of The first Harry Potter this weekend and encyclopedias for fun. Also taught himself multiplication, division and percentages this summer. The kid can gag up his Yahtzee score in his head!

His teacher said that Comkon Core discouraged skipping grades but I haven't seen anything about that. I'm totally not pushing for him to skip, his kindergarten and 1st grade teachers suggested it and for now his 2nd grade teacher is giving him 3rd grade work.

I guess I was hoping there was some literature somewhere about it? I mean besides the 5 page booklet I was given at back to school night.
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM
4 moms liked this

The common core standards documents are all linked here: http://www.corestandards.org.  If you look at them, they say nothing about *how* kids should be taught, just what they need to learn.  They certainly don't say anything like "second graders need to listen to reading for 45 minutes." That is all how your school, district, state, etc. is choosing to implement them. 

From what I know of them, there is more of an emphasis on understanding and critical thinking in the new standards than there was in the old ones where I live (CA). I like that. So while I'd still like to see how the shift all plays out, I am optimistic that it is a step in the right direction. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM
2 moms liked this

That's the opposite of Common Core wants teachers to do. The shift should be towards the children learning the content through exploration and cooperative learning. 

Quoting stephiebugg:

I was just coming here to post about it.
I'm trying really hard to remain relatively neutral about it, at least around my daughter. I don't want her to think it's too hard for her and not try in school. That said, she's in 1st grade this year and part of the lesson plan requires the teacher to have the children sit still and listen while she reads for 45 minutes to the children about science- the human body, the frozen tundra. I can't get my 6 year old to sit still through a 10 minute meal. Even when she's playing on the computer at home, she's standing and wiggling. She just doesn't sit. I recognize it's a skill that is important to have- to be able to sit- but I think it's unrealistic to expect a child this young to sit and pay attention for that long.
My daughter is a young 1st grader, having just turned 6 in August. I have been told by both her PreK and kindergarten teachers that she is immature.

My daughter is also relatively stressed, but I can't tell if it's because of the adjustment of being back in school after summer break or if it's because the lesson plan is tough.
I think so far she's doing well with the curriculum. She's an average student. I hope this doesn't cause her to get behind or get frustrated with school. I can see how this could potentially cause a higher rate of drop outs.
I'm not really sure how I feel. I want my children to succeed in life and do well. I also want them to enjoy school like I did. I loved going to school. I always enjoyed it (until those rough middle school years! LOL). My daughter has begged me to homeschool her. I'm giving it more time, I have no plans to homeschool her. I am not a teacher. I can teach her some things, yes, but it's not my area of expertise.
I'm hoping it'll get easier for her, hoping she can keep up.
*fingers crossed*

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Jenn8604:

I've read on it. They aren't seeming to take in special needs or gifted children in it. they need to be taught totally different and not the same as every child across the country.

Actually with Common the emphasis is on learning skills at a deeper level so there are less skills in each grade level than there were previously. 

Teachers aren't as rushed to get through all the content so they don't have to move on when the lower students haven't mastered the skills yet. While they continue working on attaining the highest levels of mastery struggling students are getting the repeated exposure they need. 

There is also an increases emphasis on ongoing progress monitoring. Since teachers are spending more time on each standard they are expected to assess each standard several times and work with students who aren't learning the content. 

As for the gifted students, teachers are being taught to push the kids beyond the minimum standards for learning. One of the best things about Core is that it allows form more individualized instruction.

jaydensmom1726
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM

i have never heard of common core

SciFiMama91
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Thus far I enjoy it. His teacher still finds ways to challenge him when he knows the current material. He's only in Kindergarten though so we'll see.
renren0308
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:15 AM

well..from what I have seen thus far from the CC I do not like it...I find the work load for kids is way too much..even the teachers are complaining about how much work they are required to give the kids..not every child learns the same way.. My youngest's teacher and me had a few meetings just last year over the new curriculum because I found that it was ridiculous the amount they were expected to teach to these kids.. one instance is when my daughter failed a math quiz because she mispelled perpendicular and another big math word and then wrote one sentence instead of a 15 sentence explanation of what perpendicular was. For crying out loud I know adult's that can not even do that and they have Masters Degrees from College  lol.. The point is I feel that whoever it was that decided they had to implement this new curriculum should be expected to actually go through this program as well... I homeschooled my children for a couple of years until it got to the point that I had to go back to work..I am still looking for work but am seriously considering the homeschooling again because of CC.. I do not like it.. and I can not recall anything about voting for this in our area....as a taxpayer I should have been given the option of this...maybe once the dust settles it will all work out but completely changing everything over to CC like they did all at once was not a good idea in my opinion they should have done it over time so parents and the kids could get more use to it..I guess is the proper way to say it..

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Well, it's a misconception that it comes from CC. Maybe that district is making that decision but it doesn't come from CC. I'm not a CC expert but this is the 2nd year I've been teaching under it and our district doesn't have that policy. Maybe the powers that be in your district are looking for a way to get rid of some teachers and they are using that approach and using CC as the scapegoat.

Quoting renren0308:

How is it a misconception in regards to Common Core when that statement came directly from the Superintendant of the School Board in the County we live in, in a meet and greet the County did not too long ago.....Are you an expert on Common Core? What do you know about Common Core?

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Getting fired for one student failing is absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't even make sense. Yet another misconception about CC.

Quoting renren0308:

I do not know a lot about the whole common core they have going on now..I have been told by a lot of other moms to say no to it and this includes teachers...I have not heard anything good in regards to it though....One of the things I dislike about it (from my understanding the way it was explained to me) is that if one of your students fail you no longer have a job..That to me is wrong because yes the teacher is there to teach but when you are in an area that does not have a lot of funding to help all of the chiildren the responsibility should not be on the teacher..some kids simply do not want to be bothered and some of those kids do not want to be bothered because their parents are teaching them that at hm... I have heard that the curriculum its self is extremely hard and that the lessons being taught are being taught in such a way that the kids are being taught ho to become commuists...

All of this could be misinformation I do not know but what I do know is that I do not agree with the curriculum simply because of the fact that it sets standards too high for children and all children learn at differents rates...

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:21 AM
3 moms liked this

LOL of course, you do NOT remember voting on it.  It's not a referendum.  It's just a set of standards.  The curriculum is adopted by each school/school district. 

Quoting renren0308:

well..from what I have seen thus far from the CC I do not like it...I find the work load for kids is way too much..even the teachers are complaining about how much work they are required to give the kids..not every child learns the same way.. My youngest's teacher and me had a few meetings just last year over the new curriculum because I found that it was ridiculous the amount they were expected to teach to these kids.. one instance is when my daughter failed a math quiz because she mispelled perpendicular and another big math word and then wrote one sentence instead of a 15 sentence explanation of what perpendicular was. For crying out loud I know adult's that can not even do that and they have Masters Degrees from College  lol.. The point is I feel that whoever it was that decided they had to implement this new curriculum should be expected to actually go through this program as well... I homeschooled my children for a couple of years until it got to the point that I had to go back to work..I am still looking for work but am seriously considering the homeschooling again because of CC.. I do not like it.. and I can not recall anything about voting for this in our area....as a taxpayer I should have been given the option of this...maybe once the dust settles it will all work out but completely changing everything over to CC like they did all at once was not a good idea in my opinion they should have done it over time so parents and the kids could get more use to it..I guess is the proper way to say it..

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Well, it's a misconception that it comes from CC. Maybe that district is making that decision but it doesn't come from CC. I'm not a CC expert but this is the 2nd year I've been teaching under it and our district doesn't have that policy. Maybe the powers that be in your district are looking for a way to get rid of some teachers and they are using that approach and using CC as the scapegoat.

Quoting renren0308:

How is it a misconception in regards to Common Core when that statement came directly from the Superintendant of the School Board in the County we live in, in a meet and greet the County did not too long ago.....Are you an expert on Common Core? What do you know about Common Core?

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Getting fired for one student failing is absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't even make sense. Yet another misconception about CC.

Quoting renren0308:

I do not know a lot about the whole common core they have going on now..I have been told by a lot of other moms to say no to it and this includes teachers...I have not heard anything good in regards to it though....One of the things I dislike about it (from my understanding the way it was explained to me) is that if one of your students fail you no longer have a job..That to me is wrong because yes the teacher is there to teach but when you are in an area that does not have a lot of funding to help all of the chiildren the responsibility should not be on the teacher..some kids simply do not want to be bothered and some of those kids do not want to be bothered because their parents are teaching them that at hm... I have heard that the curriculum its self is extremely hard and that the lessons being taught are being taught in such a way that the kids are being taught ho to become commuists...

All of this could be misinformation I do not know but what I do know is that I do not agree with the curriculum simply because of the fact that it sets standards too high for children and all children learn at differents rates...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)