Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What do you think of punishing the whole class

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM
  • 22 Replies
How do you feel about the whole class having to miss recess because of one or two kids bad behavior?
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I see where people willsay it's accountability, but I do not use that practice in the PREK class I teach. I think at my DD's Elementary school they have to walk around the playground 2 times. I'm pretty sure she's had to do it once or twice. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM

This happened to us when I was in 5th grade. I didn't understand it then, and I don't think it is fair now.

jackiewal10
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Depends on the age of the class.  1st graders, no.  4th graders, yes I can see that.

steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see the issue.. You lose it for the whole class and you have the whole class against you.. You lose it for yourself and you have no one against you.. 

It works better if you have the pressure of the other children..

thebailiffs
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't agree with taking recess away as a punishment at all.  My child needs his recess everyday, all the time.  So that will make his life even worse.  He will be even worse if he doesn't have time to get his wiggies out.

I think if 5-10 of the kids act out that might make me think about the whole class, but not 1-2. The 1-2 might even be the same every day.

mickstinator
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I think the difference is whether one sees the class students as a team that works together or an individual endeavor where the progress of others does not involve affect the individual.

I take the latter point of view and find class punishment for the misbehavior of a few inappropriate. I also don't htink it's a terribly big deal, though (at least, in most cases).

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Whatever.  I have bigger things to worry about than the entire class being punished.  It happens in the grown up world too, so they might as well get used to it as children.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I agree with it and I like the method when a teacher uses it.

I use it at home as well with my own kids sometimes. If one acts up they ruin it for their siblings and it usually smartens up their behavior, they dont like their sisters being mad at them and having to cancel a special occasion cause of just 1 child.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I would declare the teacher to be either a lazy dumbass or a clueless dumbass.  Equally heinous, if you ask me. 

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Quoting steffielou_who:

I don't see the issue.. You lose it for the whole class and you have the whole class against you.. You lose it for yourself and you have no one against you.. 

It works better if you have the pressure of the other children..

My girl's 5th grade teacher used the same argument as you in defense of his practice of whole-class punishments. 

My response...I don't send my kid to school to teach the other kids how to behave. I don't send her to school to bully others into behaving. It is unreasonable for her to be held responsible for the actions of her peers. 

And given the frequency with which he used whole-class punishments, I'd say it was more than ineffective.  It actually resulted in plenty of kids who typically behaved pretty well becoming fed up enough to misbehave as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)