Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Am I right to question this...

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM
  • 14 Replies

My best friend asked me this question today and I didn't know what advice to give so I told her I would ask here.  Her twin boys are 5 and enrolled in a Catholic school kindergarten for a variety of reasosn (needed full day due to daycare costs, limited options for additional childcare due to no family in the area).  She also wanted to keep them out of their public school system for now as they are twins with an August birthday who she may re-enroll in kindergarten at their home school next year.  Today she found out they are up to 30 kids in the classroom with 1 teacher and no aide.  Her question is, how does she approach the school with her concerns when she doesn't have another option in terms of placement.  She wants to ensure her children are getting the best education possible and she just doesn't see how this is possible with 30 kids in a room.  What she is hoping to get from all of you is advice on how to start the conversation with the teacher and principal and some ideas of what others might do in her situation.

Thanks!

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:13 PM

That school may have a higher threshold for class size.  Is she 100% certain there is no aide for the classroom or parent volunteers to come in and help out?  Our public school requires an aide after 24-25 students per class.  This year they even added a 4th kindergarten class due to enrollment. 

My dd is in 2nd grade so when she was in kindergarten, they had to add a 3rd class due to size.

Proud-young-mom
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM
30 that is too many. My bff dd goes to a public kindergarten. And their are 21 and their an aid. My ds school has 3 kindergarten classes. And they all stop at 17 kids. And their an aid. I swear i love my ds school. And we are also private school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Honestly this is something she should have checked on before enrolling them.

She can ask the school about it, but she shouldn't expect any resolution. Private schools run on very tight budgets and this really isn't unusual. 

Meghan327
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM

She did ask ahead of time and was told a max of 20.  They don't have space for another classroom so they can't open another one.  My ds goes to the same school for pre-k and it is capped at 16 (they actually turn kids away) but for some reason they think it is okay to go to 30 for kindergarten. 

In terms of an aide, she is going to check again but as of last Thursday there was no aide or parent volunteer.

tnwp21
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM

My son attends Catholic school as I did, they generally average about 25-30 kids with no aide, although there is a aide at his new school (Catholic).  My son did well in kindergarden with the other 28 children and if your child is particularly good at a subject, they are often part of an enrichment program or part of a group, they often break into groups, which will move through the material at a faster pace.  I have never heard of a child having to be held back in kindergarden and haven't heard of a child seriously struggling in the transition to first grade.

Because you pay for Catholic school, you should feel comfortable asking anything you like, it is your child and your childs education and it is an investment in his/her future, who wouldn't ask questions about an investment these days (lol).  I would make an appointment with the principal and just say, that you understand there are aides in public schools in classrooms that exceed 20 students, what in their program allows them to be able to provide individualized attention, without the need for an aide.

tnwp21
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:42 PM

They have been doing this since I was in school 30 children and that's back in the days when we had nuns! 

Quoting Proud-young-mom:

30 that is too many. My bff dd goes to a public kindergarten. And their are 21 and their an aid. My ds school has 3 kindergarten classes. And they all stop at 17 kids. And their an aid. I swear i love my ds school. And we are also private school.

Proud-young-mom
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Speak for yourself. Every catholic school not like that. And even public school either. Every district different. And i wouldnt send my child to any school with 30 kids. My ds max is 17. And they only have 16 as of right now. Maybe that school doesnt have more than 1 class per grade. But either way id be looking for another school. But i wouldnt have enrolled their in the 1st place.

Quoting tnwp21:

They have been doing this since I was in school 30 children and that's back in the days when we had nuns! 

Quoting Proud-young-mom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:57 PM

30 tends to be too much. When my middle son was in kinder he was in a class of 30, so the school saw that 30 was too many and added another teacher. Loved that man he was awesome, being cute was a plus lol. What your friend needs to do is just watch and see how her kids are behaving and learning. If they seem to be behind let's say after a month of observation, make an appointment to talk to the teacher. See if it's the class size, the teachers style or the way they learn and see what she can do to help. 

Who knows maybe mom's of the other kids volunteer. I went to a Catholic high school had no aides and class size no more the 25. And had no problems learning.

cjsbmom
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Honestly this is something she should have checked on before enrolling them.

She can ask the school about it, but she shouldn't expect any resolution. Private schools run on very tight budgets and this really isn't unusual. 

This.

It's very likely it's not in their budget and they probably rely heavily on parent volunteers. 

tnwp21
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I am speaking for myself and from my experience with Catholic school, I am just saying it's not a new idea.    My current teacher has 20 kids and my son says the aide doesn't do anything, maybe she helps grade papers, I don't know....the important thing is, the kids are doing amazing things, they are doing algebra and geometry and beginning research papers in the fourth grade.  They can learn at their pace, because their groups are based on their their abilities.  I asked the teacher, what happens if a child fails a test, she says, she works with the child and they retest and average the grade. 

I know absolutely nothing about public school, so I didn't talk to it at all, most my family has gone to Catholic school from K-12 and my neice and son currently attend Catholic schools in different cities and I am telling you, it is not uncommon to have larger class sizes and my son and niece carry a 3.8 GPA with varying class sizes, so in my humble opinion, they are doing something right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN