Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

what is your definition of entitled or entitlement?

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 5:10 AM
  • 16 Replies

I have seen many posts where ppl are talking about entitlement or how kids and adults as well feel so "entitled" these days and I was just wondering exactly what that means. I know what the dictionary definitions are I was just curious what your definitions are.

A second part to this question is would there ever be a situation where having a feeling of entitlement is a positive thing to have?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 5:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orliesmom
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM
3 moms liked this

To me I see entitlement as someone who thinks things should just be handed to them. I see this alot in college kids these days who were never made to work and their parents buy them everything until they get out of college. I dont think it really teaches the kid the value of a dollar because they wont be getting a job until they get a degree which is most likely a well paid job, not just that  but I have known many kids like this that look down on those who actually have to work their own way through college and buy their own shit. That to me is etitlement. There are many other examples I could go on forever.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree with the previous poster.  At the elementary/younger age, to me it's expecting success without working for it.  For example, "everyone's a winner" and receives a trophy for just showing up.  Ugh!  NO!  That mentality then transfers to the classroom where kids just expect to get passing grades without applying themselves and/or working hard.  We have an entire generation of young adults who can't properly function in the workplace because they were handed everything and worked for nothing.

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Entitlement means they expect you to give them whatever you want, never having to work for anything, because they don't believe they should have to. 

xoxRachelxox
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM
4 moms liked this

When people believe they deserve something they didn't work for or pay for.

Wanting things just because you breathe.

tnwp21
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Entitled means that people feel they are owed special consideration, due to who they, are, look, family affilliation or just because they think the should have special treatment.  I don't think feeling entitled is a positive thing unless it's in relation to what you are willing to give.  I feel entitled to respect, kindness and courtesy if I extend the same social graces to others and even that's not completely positive.  Think of this way, how would you feel if everyone felt entitled to everything and didn't extend that courtesy to you, it wouldn't take long before you would have had your fill of it.

kknepp03
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I agree with previous posters but also think it means that they feel the rules don't apply to them.  A lot of these children are spoiled and just do whatever they want. My ds has a very "entitled kid in his class.  He believes that he is better than all the children and that he deserves more than the others.  Example: Last year when our kids were playing indoor soccer (grade 2) the teams were separated into grades K-2 and 3-4.  The 2nd graders were rotated in to play with the 3-4 team.  This boy didn't go to practice, a lot of times only showed up for the 3-4 game because playing with the K-2 team was a "waste of his time."  And let me tell you, he wasn't any better than a lot of the kids.  And when his mother wondered why her child was making other kids feel bad, we told her what he was saying to the kids.  His mother told me and a few other moms that it WAS a waste of his time and proceeded to go on about how she was angry that he wasn't playing up every week.  This was after he told my ds and who knows how many others that he was better at soccer than them....

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM
I see it a lot with some military wives who think they deserve benifits because they married a soldier. I will admit i do like the perks, but with government spending cuts, i am more then happy for them to go, the military owes me nothing. But you get wives throwing fits over it. Maybe its just me.
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I agree with PPs.  My husband is a university professor, and he has a lot of coversations with disappointed student who got bad grades, where the conversation basically boils down to "But I want an A"  "But you didn't earn an A" "But I WANT an A".  The words are slightly different, but that's the essence. No concept that the grade is *earned* through hard work and study. They go to him and just expect him to change their grade because they would really like a better grade. 

I also see this with friends who over-spend their income. They are always saying "but I deserve this [expensive outfit, pedicure, new jewelry...whatever]". You don't get money in this world becaus you morally deserve it, or because you are a great person - if so, Mother Theresa would have been a billionare. You get money because you earn it, and then you can either spend it smart or not.  

monicas3w
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM

for me it's when a child and grown up are extremely rude and act like they are doing you a favor by working at their job or cut you in line and give you a dirty look like do something about it. They act like they can do no wrong and there's never any consequences. Absolutley NO respect for anyone. They expect everything with no effort or little effort.

luckystars2012
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM

When someone feels that they "should get to have" something that they have not earned-thats entitlement.Or when people expect others to cater to them.  Thats entitlement.

"people on welfare deserve nice things/junk food/etc too!" No you dont.  You dont deserve anything in this world that you have not worked for and earned 100%.

"My suzy is allergic to gluten/wheat/peanuts/apricots/perfume/dogs so the schools need to ban it!" No, you need to teach your child to manage their own allergies and not take/touch/eat things they shouldnt.

Thats two basic examples.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)