Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

back to school night drama... *Update*

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 123 Replies

So, my 2nd graders back to school night was last night and I ended up having to take my one year old because my husband double booked himself. I understand it's not ideal, but with our alternate baby sitter in the hospital, it was either don't go, or take her with.

So, I'm sitting at my sons desk listening to his teacher, with her on my lap while trying to fill out paperwork and feed her grapes at the same time. She starts talking a little... Not a lot, if she had been disruptive I would have taken her outside, but she was behaving quite well for a 15 month old. So then the guy next to me turns and says "you know that's not really fair to the rest of us".... Oh, so me missing the meeting is more fair???

What do parents do when they can't find a sitter for an event like that? Plenty of parents don't have sitters at all and so they let the older kids play on the playground and bring the younger ones into class. There was another 1 year old in the class last night, even!

I mean, everyone does the best they can, why did this guy have to be an ass??

*Update!*

Not sure I will have time to respond to everyone's posts right this second, but wanted to update that I talked to a couple of my girlfriends this morning about the incident.  They were both in the classroom that night, one had this guy in her daughters class last year and the other almost had a daughter in girl scouts with his.  

They both said he's very socially awkward and just not very nice.  He doesn't quite know how to communicate politely with people.   Maybe that explains his rude behavior?   Not sure... you'd think by 40-45 you'd have learned how not to talk to people (or maybe he really just doesn't care).

Anyway, wanted to add that, and also say that overall, I'm most surprised that so many moms (moms!) here seem to be incapable of being understanding about a parent needing to bring a younger child to a school function.   The way my community is, we're all in it together, we look out for each other, and we're understanding that scheduling can be a PITA and sometimes shit happens.  

I'm glad that I live in a community like this, and not one where everyone is just out for themselves, not caring what other people have going on.  

So, thank you for helping me to appreciate that despite the random jerks, I live in a pretty great community!  :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with him. It's NOT for kids. I always swapped with my neighbors who had kids. Your situation was unfortunate, but you should not have brought your toddler.
SewingMamaLele
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM
So, then I just don't go then? I have to miss out on what the teacher had to say (or make her make time to repeat it), because dude couldn't deal with a little bit of toddler babble?

Quoting mjande4:

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with him. It's NOT for kids. I always swapped with my neighbors who had kids. Your situation was unfortunate, but you should not have brought your toddler.
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM
8 moms liked this

Our Back to School Night always has families.  It's never been an "no kids allowed" event.  I think more people need to be more patient and if they need to say anything, they need to be nicer about the way they talk to people.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no issue with bringing toddlers as long as they are quiet. When she started talking, you should have excused yourself.
CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it is OK for the child that is in that classroom to attend but I don't think the siblings should.  If you don't have a sitter then get the info at another time.

SewingMamaLele
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM
If it was disruptive I would have left, but it wasn't. If I could manage to follow the conversation while writing and tending to her (aka, bribing her with food), I'm sure the guy next to me could hear just fine. Inconvenient for me? Yes, but she wasn't being disruptive. He was giving her dirty looks the minute we sat down.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I have no issue with bringing toddlers as long as they are quiet. When she started talking, you should have excused yourself.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM
7 moms liked this
It's not an event that just "came up". You needed to make other arrangements. The fact that someone said something to you tells me that your kid wasn't as quiet as you think.
Quoting SewingMamaLele:So, then I just don't go then? I have to miss out on what the teacher had to say (or make her make time to repeat it), because dude couldn't deal with a little bit of toddler babble?

Quoting mjande4:I'm sorry, but I have to agree with him. It's NOT for kids. I always swapped with my neighbors who had kids. Your situation was unfortunate, but you should not have brought your toddler.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I'm shocked at how late you are starting school.  Our school doesn't have a back to school event for everyone, only for kindergarteners and new students.  However, the event is for parents and the kindergartener/new student only.

littlecheifsmom
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM
5 moms liked this
No I'm sorry if you want an one on one meeting then schedule that. Back to school isn't for that, its informative yes but not any different then what is sent home on paper.
So what if kids are there. It's not like she was running around causing a muck. Or getting into things.

She's a toddler they talk get over it.
Just because you have a family of smaller children doesn't mean you miss out of your older childrens things. Sometimes things happen you just have to do. What's needed, & you did.

He's an ass cause he wants to be. Don't let people like that bug ya
SewingMamaLele
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this
My husband was supposed to watch the kids, but he accidentally scheduled a baseball practice for the same time. he took the big kids, but a 1 year old on a baseball field is pretty dangerous.

The guy was giving her dirty looks from the start, he was just being an ass. I had two parents give me "what the heck is his problem?" Looks, and my neighbor told me I should run my stroller into him! Haha.

Quoting mjande4:

It's not an event that just "came up". You needed to make other arrangements. The fact that someone said something to you tells me that your kid wasn't as quiet as you think.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:So, then I just don't go then? I have to miss out on what the teacher had to say (or make her make time to repeat it), because dude couldn't deal with a little bit of toddler babble?

Quoting mjande4:I'm sorry, but I have to agree with him. It's NOT for kids. I always swapped with my neighbors who had kids. Your situation was unfortunate, but you should not have brought your toddler.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)