Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Are your kids still in a booster seat?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM
  • 134 Replies

My son is almost 9 years old and in the 3rd grade. He is on the small size, like in the 10th percentile range. He is only 3 ft 11 and weighs 49lbs. Because of his size he is still in a booster seat.

He doesn't mind when it is just us. But when he has his friends over and we go places, he doesn't want to take it and he hates that if he goes with someone else he has to take it as well. No one has ever said anything about it, but I know it bothers him that he has to use it for safety reasons. He is just too small not to be properly restrained in a car.

Are your kids still in booster seat? Do they hate having to use it?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsary
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM
My 8 yr old isn't.
bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM

DD is 11 and has not been in a booster seat since before she was 8 yrs old, she was to big for one. She is now 132lbs so way too big for a booster seat.

My middle is 5 and is in a booster seat. She moved to one when she hit 40lbs a few months ago.

a06z08mama
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Both of mine are. DS will be 6 in March. He is 3'8" and 46 lbs. DD just turned 7 and is 4' 2.5" and 64 lbs. But with the car I drive I feel comfortable with DD still in it til she is older.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, my 7.5 yr old dd is in a low back one she is 48.5" and 50 lbs. My 5yr old is in a high back one and he is 45" and 48 lbs.

JoanahLee
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Mine are all still in harnesses, but our older boys (foster kids who have gone back home for the most part) were a hard situation.  The younger brother is HUGE. At age 6 he was 75-80 lbs, and not fat, just huge..tall, thick, wearing a size 8 pants and tall enough to ride without a booster seat safely.  His OLDER brother was 9, a head shorter and about 50lbs.    Once they hit the place where younger brother (who could care less, hes a bit delayed and does not care about this sort of thing) could not longer ride in a booster because he was too big, but older brother still needed one, right before he turned 10, I made him a deal that when he rode with other people or had friends in the car he could put the booster in the back and not use it. 

It was not ideal, I would have preferred him to use the booster but this poor kid was so ridiculed already, had such a hard time with friends, everyone teased him about needing directions back to the kindergarten class, the last thing he wanted was for them to see his car seat. 

zinniadaisy
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM

My 8 yr old is no longer, but the 6 yr old is

Melbornj
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:44 PM

My eight almost nine year old is and I have no plans on letting her not use it any time soon.

NeonGirl9583
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM
My ds is 7 and almost 100 lbs and the statelaw states he has to be either 12 or 5 ft. hes only like 4 ft 3. and my dd is 5 and still has one. my poor 4 yr old is still in a baby set and she hates that.
RedheadMama18
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM

My 5 year old is in a booster.

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM
My oldest will be 7 in 4 months and he's still harnessed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)