Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

"It's not my problem"

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 21 Replies
My dd is in the fifth grade at a performing arts school . She has to leave class a few times a week for speech therapy and she has to leave her thing in class while she's gone. In the last week when she returns to class the teacher won't tell her what the assignments are she missed. This week while she was in speech twice her belongings have gone missing, first it was a lunch kit and yesterday it was her planner. Dd tell the teacher today that her planner is not at her desk and she tells her it not my problem. Ok I get that but if someone is stealing another students property while you are in the class wouldn't you be concerned if you where the teacher? I have replaced her items but I'm really concerned because we just bought her a violin that will have to be left in the class while she in speech. I'm not replacing a violin because of a thief sitting in class with the teacher . How do you even label a violin other than the case.? We had a problem last year with her teacher not allowing her to go to speech because she felt like dd didn't need it. It's a part of her iep I think she does need it .lol I don't want to be that parent but I feel I must talk to the teacher before things escalate . How should I go about speaking with the teacher without coming off as "that parent". Last year my dd had a horrible school experience but she managed to make honor roll but I will not allow her to have another bad teacher.
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DaisyRae
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I might suggest emailing the teacher, while CCing the principal in the email. Communicate that while you understand that in 5th grade students are responsible for their belongings, it IS her problem when someone from her classroom is stealing your daughters things while she is in speech therapy! A teacher should be well enough aware about what is going on in their classroom to notice someone TAKING someone else's items. Why is she not allowed to place her things in a locker while she is in speech? I wouldnt worry about being "that" parent when things are being stolen and the teacher doesnt care at all. 

vlynn.iowa
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Contact the school and set up a meeting with the teacher and the principal.  The teacher is wrong, it is her problem that a child's things are missing.  She is also in the wrong about not giving your daughter the information on the missed assignment.  Speech therapy is not play time and she should be given time to make up the assignment.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I agree with the others..... Why cant she take her belongings with her?  That would upset me so much that property is being taken and the teacher does not seem to care.

Mommabearbergh
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
you are going to have to be that parent. Those are her things and when she is in school and someone is stealing them it is the teachers problem. If she does nothing go above her.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM

That is crazy to me that the teacher isn't giving your DD her missing assignments from when she's in speech therapy.

Can your DD make sure her things are in her desk or backpack when she leaves?  It's crazy to me that her things would be stolen, too, but maybe that would help the situation.

Definitely talk to the teacher yourself.  This sounds like a situation where you do need to be "that parent".  As long as you are polite, don't worry about it.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I would never have a student leave their bag unattended. She should take it to speech and her violin should be stored in the orchestra room.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Why wouldn't the OP's DD's bag be safe in the classroom while she's gone?  Maybe it's been way too long since I've been in elementary school, but its mind boggling to me that her stuff wouldn't be safe in the classroom.  (Not that I think she should be able to bring expensive stuff & not have something happen to it, though.)

There is a boy in my son's 1st grade room who leaves every day for 1.5 hours for speech & his stuff is just left on his desk - and as far as I know, no one touches it.

Quoting mjande4:

I would never have a student leave their bag unattended. She should take it to speech and her violin should be stored in the orchestra room.

Trini
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I think I will email her,maybe I can set up a meeting because I'll be there on Monday for a meeting with my son' s IEP team. I hadn't thought to include the principal ,she will be at the meeting for my son. Would it be inappropriate to mention what's going on with my dd after the meeting for my son. 

Quoting DaisyRae:

I might suggest emailing the teacher, while CCing the principal in the email. Communicate that while you understand that in 5th grade students are responsible for their belongings, it IS her problem when someone from her classroom is stealing your daughters things while she is in speech therapy! A teacher should be well enough aware about what is going on in their classroom to notice someone TAKING someone else's items. Why is she not allowed to place her things in a locker while she is in speech? I wouldnt worry about being "that" parent when things are being stolen and the teacher doesnt care at all. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I think its best to talk to the teacher herself first - esp on the chance that your DD is getting part of the story wrong.  Even if your DD has everything right, give the teacher a chance to fix it first.

Quoting Trini:

I think I will email her,maybe I can set up a meeting because I'll be there on Monday for a meeting with my son' s IEP team. I hadn't thought to include the principal ,she will be at the meeting for my son. Would it be inappropriate to mention what's going on with my dd after the meeting for my son. 

Quoting DaisyRae:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Honestly, I have raised my kids "where you go, your bag goes".  I am sure that it's years at the high school level, but it's really a habit that they should form.  Yes, the classroom should be a safe zone, but it's naive to believe that things won't get taken.  Many kids carry phones, money, electronics and it is their responsibilty to take care of their possessions.  If the bag is with them, then the chances of people going through it are pretty minimal.

Quoting GwenMB:

Why wouldn't the OP's DD's bag be safe in the classroom while she's gone?  Maybe it's been way too long since I've been in elementary school, but its mind boggling to me that her stuff wouldn't be safe in the classroom.  (Not that I think she should be able to bring expensive stuff & not have something happen to it, though.)

There is a boy in my son's 1st grade room who leaves every day for 1.5 hours for speech & his stuff is just left on his desk - and as far as I know, no one touches it.

Quoting mjande4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN