Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Seriously What is the purpose of insurance?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 12 Replies

My son has ADHD . I am looking into alternatives before I put him on medication.  I found a facility that  gives behavior therapy. My prays I though was going to be answer when the insurance company told me that I have to meet a six thousand deductible. I asked the customer representative what is purpose of insurance? I though the insurance company take money out your pay check and as a customer  I pay half  of the doctor visit while the insurance pay the other half. I was delusion and heart broken. My husband and I both agreed insurance has changed and not for the better. What are your thoughts?

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It's risk management.  In addition, you pay for what you get. The entire system needs an overhaul in my opinion. Unfortunately, lower copays, generally mean less services.  I understand the frustration. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:22 PM

It depends on what you pay for. Some plans have lower deductibles than others. (Same with car insurance, home insurance, and other insurance plans.)

My husband was in the hospital and nearly died 8 years ago. We didn't think his insurance coverage had kicked in yet, and the hospital bill was around $80,000 before we found out for sure that he had medical insurance. That same hospital stay would probably be triple that today.

In retrospect, a $6,000 deductible is much less than having to pay a hospital bill that size.

If you need insurance to cover not just catastrophic situations, then you need to look for a plan that provides you with better medical coverage.

janitablue
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Thank you Barbara ,words can not be express for what you and your husband went through with the insurance. My open enrollment is in June I will definitely adding my son and looking for something better. 

Quoting Barabell:

It depends on what you pay for. Some plans have lower deductibles than others. (Same with car insurance, home insurance, and other insurance plans.)

My husband was in the hospital and nearly died 8 years ago. We didn't think his insurance coverage had kicked in yet, and the hospital bill was around $80,000 before we found out for sure that he had medical insurance. That same hospital stay would probably be triple that today.

In retrospect, a $6,000 deductible is much less than having to pay a hospital bill that size.

If you need insurance to cover not just catastrophic situations, then you need to look for a plan that provides you with better medical coverage.

janitablue
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Quoting mjande4:

It's risk management.  In addition, you pay for what you get. The entire system needs an overhaul in my opinion. Unfortunately, lower copays, generally mean less services.  I understand the frustration. 

Wow thank you for your comments I never though of that. I guess I got what I pay for less services.

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Good luck. I hope you find a better plan.

Coverage really does vary from state to state too. I've heard we live in a state that has more affordable coverage, so we're pretty lucky in that regard.

Quoting janitablue:

Thank you Barbara ,words can not be express for what you and your husband went through with the insurance. My open enrollment is in June I will definitely adding my son and looking for something better. 

Quoting Barabell:

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM

DD's insurance will cover everything as long as it is referred by her primary care doctor.  i have no insurance and hope to find one that will work for me.  My guy has health care through VA which is covered everything but a pain in rear to get worthwhile care.

I hope you can find an insurance plan that will help you out more.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Your premiums are probably lower than other people's b/c your deductible is so high. My husband's company has a policy with a $1000 deductible and $2000 more in coinsurance (we pay 20%, ins co pays 80%) up to $3000 total... then it is 100% covered. Our copays are $35 for office visits, $50 for specialty and $150 emergency.

meam4444
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Insurance is so hard.  We have pretty high deductibles, and we pay in a lot every month for it too.  We have added some supplemental insurance to help out a little.

cjsbmom
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Hopefully come Tuesday, you might have better choices. Look into your state's health insurance exchange, which is to open on Tuesday as part of Obamacare. 

We have had to buy our own insurance for years because both DH and I are consultants. We have an insurance plan with a ridiculously high deductible, so it basically pays for nothing. But it's all we can afford for now. Plans that have lower deductibles often have high copays and/or limited coverage. 

The whole insurance system needs to be overhauled in this country, that's for sure. 

lageise
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I feel your pain.  We pay almost 6, 000 a year for insurance just for my husband and I through his policy at work.  We have Fidelis for our kids.  Their's pays for everything and the premium is $18.00 per month ($9.00 per child) ours has a $700.00 deductible and then pays for next to nothing if we even do meet the deductible, which we rarely do.  Our insurance sucks. I would love to get different/better insurance. Hopefully someday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)