Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My DD is having accidents in school?!

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:34 PM
  • 18 Replies

My DD is 5, and just started full day Kindergarten.  She has been totally potty trained for over 2 years, and has not had any accidents since.  Well, the past 2 weeks, she has been having accidents(urine) at school, very frequent.        My Hubby and I have tried talking to her to figure out if its certain time of the day, she just says sometimes she can't hold it.  We are getting very frustrated, because now she has done it at home this weekend.  I asked her if she had any pain/burning, she said no.  I am thinking of calling the doctor this week.

Any idea's/advice?

Thanks!

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Being on a new, action packed schedule can be overwhelming. She maybe so consumed with what she is doing that she is not listening to her body's signals. Get her a watch with a timer. Set it to go off every hour. Make it clear to her when the alarm goes off she is to stop WHATEVER she is doing and go to the bathroom. Good luck!

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM

We have to make sure dd goes to the bathroom right before we go to the bus stop.  That helped her be able to tell teacher when she has to go at school.  I would definitely talk to the doctor and maybe the teacher to see if there is anything that can be done at school.  Perhaps the child could just run to bathroom when they really ahve to go.

tnwp21
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Just a thought, but is it possible, that she is concentrating or playing and thinks she has time and doesn't make it.  My son did that for a while

Dodie702
by Doriane on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:08 AM
She might be too shy to ask the teacher to use the bathroom so she is holding it. Dd had a couple accidents because of this. I talked to dd's teacher and she said dd could just go when she needed and we haven't had a problem since.
LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:17 AM

When I was in kindergarten there was a time at the end of the day when they said each table (they called us by number) could go to the bathroom. "If you've finished your worksheet you can go to the bathroom." The problem was, I had to go but hadn't finished the worksheet! Yep. Accident. That sucked. Maybe it's something like that?

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Since she's doing it at home as well, I'd get her into the dr first.

If there is no medical reason, see if you can work w/ the teacher to help her remember to stop working/playing and go.

cjsbmom
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Does she not have the option to raise her hand and ask to use the bathroom? It's hard for kids to go to school and find they are on "scheduled" bathroom breaks. Not everyone has to go at the same time. At our school, in the K and first grade rooms, there was a bathroom. If kids had to go during an unscheduled break time, they simply got up and went. 

Maybe talk to your daughter's teacher and ask if she can let your DD know that it's OK to ask to use the bathroom if she has to go. 

cjsbmom
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

When I was in kindergarten there was a time at the end of the day when they said each table (they called us by number) could go to the bathroom. "If you've finished your worksheet you can go to the bathroom." The problem was, I had to go but hadn't finished the worksheet! Yep. Accident. That sucked. Maybe it's something like that?

I don't understand why teachers do this. Going to the bathroom isn't a privilege, it's a bodily function that can't be ignored. *sigh*

PoehlerBear1983
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Ds2 did that last year in first grade. Kindergarten was only half day for him so i think the switch to 1st grade all day was overwhelming. So far this year in 2nd grade he has been fine.

I just kept extra clothes at school for him and his teacher and nurse worked with him by sending him to the bathroom every hour
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:12 AM
My 5 yr old DD would be mortified if she had an accident she has been potty training since 19 mths (only BM/night accidents) by 25 mths she was completely trained (nights and BM) she has very rarely had any accidents she's in full day kindergarten and is doing g well with it. Good luck I am sure its just a phase.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN