Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sending home lunch...needing ideas!!

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

I now have 2 in school and am still trying to get used to packing them lunch.  I have a fridge at work that I keep my food in and have time to prepare and a microwave to warm up things...so I am having a hard time with ideas for their lunches.  Any ideas that you have would be great!!  :D

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

what types of foods do they like?  There are containers in stores that keep hot food hot and cold food cold.   DD loves her leftovers for lunch w/ a juice box.  They could even help create their own lunches for the week like making a "menu"for them that week.

tnwp21
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM

My son eats a sandwich with deli meat and cheese, milk, snack (pretzels...) and an energy bar.  Sometimes yogart or a fruit cup.

sweetchels48
by New Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I love the idea of having them do a menu.  I have put in cold food but am not sure how hot it would keep the hot foods.  Something to think about.

TonyaLea
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:39 AM

For my kindergartener's main entree I just do variations of a lot of the same stuff.  Mainly pinwheels (tortillas with cream cheese and any number of combinations like fresh spinach and turkey.  Roll it up and slice it into rounds.)  Also quesadillas with various fillings like pepperoni & olives, black beans, grilled chicken & sliced peppers.  I will also send in dinner leftovers if it is something that can be eaten cold, like homemade pizza or baked taquitos.  

Then I include both a veggie and a fruit. Things like carrots, snap peas, sliced peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, peaches, sliced apples, oranges, grapes, watermelon, or strawberries.  Sometimes I will throw in a handful of nuts or crackers.  Last week I bought a pomegranate, and sent in some crackers spread with cream cheese and topped with pomegranate seeds.  I have also done ants on a log (celery, pb or cream cheese, topped with raisins, nuts or seeds).

When it starts getting colder, I have a small thermos to fill with things like hot pasta dishes, soup, or chili.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:06 AM
I buy ice packs made for her lunch box to keep her food cool. Dd always wants to same thing. She gets a ham sandwich, fruit, and a juice box every day. She's 5 and very picky..lol
zenoria
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:01 AM

A menu for sure.  It helps SO much (at least with my 4.)  I tell the kids what we have in the house, and they write a menu for the week before we go grocery shopping.  

You can experiment with salads, like pasta, couscous, etc.  Just pop an ice pack into the lunchbox to keep 'em cool.

The basic formula at our house is: entree, fruit, snack, drink, veggies if desired.

Here's how that might look--

For my vegetarian-wannabe: 

pasta salad, milk, apple or apple slices, cucumbers and hummus dip

tortilla/cheese/lettuce wrap, salsa, corn chips, milk, grapes

vegetable soup, crackers, banana, baked fruit bar

For my meat-eaters:

chicken and cheese on whole-grain bread, milk, apple slices, goldfish crackers or pretzels

roast beef on whole-grain-bread, milk, tangerines, snap peas and hummus or carrots

chicken and barbeque sauce on whole-grain bread, fruit juice, cheese wedge, carrots, pear or apple

ham and cheese sandwich on whole-grain bread, milk, pretzels, apple slices

My kids love apples and grapes.  I limit the "snack" choices to lower-fat ones that bring a nice crunch to their meals.  They make the menu, and so far it's been working well this year.

Try doing a wrap and cutting it into rounds for a non-sandwich-loving child.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Pretty much anything they like at home for lunch can be sent to school, especially w/ ice packs for the cold stuff and thermoses for the hot stuff.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Invest in some ice packs and insulated containers and the sky is the limit.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM

My kids take this stuff:

Greek pasta salads with chicken, spinach, feta cheese, tomatoes and greek feta dressing.

Chicken wraps (caeser dressing and lettuce and tomatoes)

Wow butter wraps.

Thermos with leftovers, or soup and pastas

pita chips and hummus

fruits and veggies with dip.

Keilbossa and cheese with crackers.

Homemade mini pizza dough, they make at school (toppings to put on it)

Yogurt

Just stuff like that.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Buy a food thermos (metal inside) and send hot food in it. My daughter likes ravioli, so that is what she is having today.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)