Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How much do you participate in fundraisers?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:20 PM
  • 52 Replies

I try to be a good sport and sell stuff for whatever activity my kid does, but it's just getting ridiculous! When i was in school we did ONE fundraiser per year and then maybe sold cookies for girl scouts. I don't remember selling stuff for softball or any other activity I did.

My kid constantly has some fundraiser going. There is literally never a time when there isn't something the kids are supposed to be selling for school. Every sport has a fundraiser attached to it. We did soccer and we sold overpriced candies or something and then peewee cheer started and she was supposed to sell nuts and beer cozies. And then school started and it's candles. And then market day. And then girl scouts "fall product", which is overpriced candies, nuts, and magazines. And as soon as the candles are done we will start selling discount cards for school. Then pastries. Then more magazines. They're good causes, but I'd rather than write a check than pound the pavement!

Even the pricey gymnastics lessons have charity fundraisers we're supposed to do.

I'm about to the point where I'm going to say NO MORE!!!

How much do you do?

Edit: so I went to the first PTO meeting of the year...apparently the fundraisers are working. They have like 20K in their account! That's a lot of candy bars!
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM
2 moms liked this
I write a check. I refuse to go around the neighborhood fundraising.
mo3giOH
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I just sell to our family, then see if both my DD have the same number of people then I will buy something.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Nearly 100% of the time...but we have very few fundraisers!  Our school does cookie dough in the fall (which I'm find with ordering), and a carnival in the spring.  I guess we're lucky in that the only other activity any of us are involved it that includes fundraising would be our Little League baseball--and that's simply a discount card for $25 we are required to buy.  We can sell more if we want to, but it's certainly not expected.  The rest of the sports my oldest plays are through Upward leagues through area churches and there's no fundraising with those.  Our preschool that both boys attended never did any fundraising either--it was great!

SciFiMama91
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM
We're only supposed to sell to friends and family so I don't mind. We just got our first from his school.
caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM
my kids school does alot of different stuff. we really dont have the money to just send a check or buy a bunch of stuff so i ask my mom if she wants to look through the book, or SOs mom but dont push it. i do save box tops and soda tabs but dont go out of my way for those either if the product i buy has them, well great. if it does not...oh well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowmommy0406
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Usually my mom, my brother and myself will each buy one thing from my kids' school fundraisers, now being a girl scout troop leader we do sell the Fall Product, and Girl Scout Cookies, and then some of the sports my son's in they sell various raffle tickets and I usually just buy a bundle of them myself and call it good.

MommeisQueen
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I usually just sell to close family and friends plus whatever contributions we do. It is overwhelming. I have 3 in school and 5 all together and it adds up. This year our school PTO fundraiser was too close to back to school, fall activity fees and picture day so I didn't participate but I would have liked to...it was all too much too soon.

http://lotsofloveandlaughs.blogspot.com/

Supervane
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM
We've been in school 9 weeks and already had 3! Not to mention the on going ones like coke points and box tops
arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the fundraiser. I absolutely refuse to sell anything to anyone. Thankfully, our son's school did this type of fundraiser for one year only and never again. The parents complained and asked that the school be more creative in its fundraising.

PinkButterfly66
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I'm fundraised out too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)