Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: LICE

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

In the past year twice I have found out after the fact that a little girl my DD is having a play-date with has recently had head lice. So I want to know, is it too much to ask for parents with children who are either sick or recently infested to let the fellow parents know before a play-date?  Or am I being unreasonable in expecting a parent to fess up to an recent investation.

I just want everyone to know that I understand that lice happens, I know that it happens to the richest families as well as those who are not wealthy, to the cleanist families and to those that are not as clean.  I understand that.  Both the situations I described the parents knew of the lice, and both were treated infestations, so its possible that there is no issue.  I would be furious if I found out a kid had an active infestation of lice and the parent knowingly sent them to my house.  My concern with lice is that it is extremly hard to get rid of, the eggs can fall out of the hair and start a whole new coloney in your carpeting.  I will try the over the counter protective measures outlined by other posters - those are great tips.  I am just frustrated that the parents did not tell us before their kids came over for a playdate.  I found out when I heard my daughther ask the other little girl who wanted to use my daughter's hair bows and brush "are you sure you don't have lice?"  Then the little girl who had been scratching her head and playing with her hair all day said "well I will tell you this if you promise not to get mad, I had lice but its been a while and I used the shampoo twice".  When I asked the little girl when she used the shampoo it sounded from her answer that it had been within the last few weeks, less then a month ago.

I know that lice is not a sickness, but for me the comparison remains  - lice is in a sense "contagious" just like any viral illness and so I would like to know in advance if your kid has been sick recently.

Thank you to all of those who have replied, many of you had excellent ideas on how to prevent lice.  Thanks!

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MustBNapTime
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Ive seen a commercial out that is said to "prevent" lice...

caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM
um if i was confident i had taken care of the problem i probably wouldnt mention it. i get that lice is apart of school and childhood. it happens. but some ppl dont see it like that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NeonGirl9583
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Put tree tea oil in her shampoo and also get no lice spray. parents here let their kids keep it. the school dont check it much.
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Did your kid get lice from her? 

My son got it from someone at karate school a couple weeks ago.  We treated him at home and he went to school the next school day (I discovered it on a Friday).  I let the school know and the nurse checked his head before he could go back to class.  We had a birthday party the next weekend and I didn't mention it.  It was taken care of.  Why continue to bring it up and embarrass him.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I've never had to deal with this issue. Here's a bump.

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Lice isn't a "sickness". It's not a matter of being gross or dirty, either. Unless the child is scratching constantly parents don't think to check the children for it so sometimes they don't even know unless they check and even then it's difficult to find lice. If the parents DO know the child has lice then no it's not unreasonable to ask they inform you, in fact they SHOULD inform you and keep their child away until treated.

Spray your DD's hair or use hair gel every day on her hair and keep her hair up. Add tea tree oil to her shampoo or use a small spray bottle with some water and the oil mixed in to spray on her scalp, behind her ears, and on the back of her neck. This will all keep lice away. We do this and my girls haven't had a lice issue since last year.

CafeMom Tickers

SAHM of Abbey (6), Charlie (5), and Nathan (Due Oct. 24). Wife of 7 years to Joe.

Seasal
by New Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM
I read they hate coconut oil so I rub a tiny bit on ds every few days and he uses suave coconut shmpoo/cond ( has the oil in it). I also read they cant stick on hair with a lot of products so get silicone shine stuff and hair spray on top. Lol - I went crazy looking for preventatives after he had it and was leary of ALL kids. We havent had them again but he has short hair so that's easier to care for & treat. Try these products and if her hair is long put it up in braids.
Greenstone920
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I just had to deal with lice on my DS this week.  I was mortified.  I have no idea how long he'd had them.  I just happened to see him scratching at his head while he was brushing his teeth, and he told me his head was itchy.  I kept him home from school for a day, while I did the treatment on him, and put all the bedding and blankets through the sanitize cycle on the wash, and sprayed the lice spray around the house and vacuumed.  

He went back to school the next day, after being cleared by the nurse.  Believe me, I combed through his hair with the gel 3 separate times to make sure I got every little thing out, as well as checking my two year old repeatedly, as well as DH and myself.  

The fact is, lice happens.  If your playdates are after the other child has been treated, I don't see what the big deal is.  I can understand being annoyed if you find out after the playdate that the child currently has lice, but chances are - like me - the parent had no idea their child has lice.  

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM

We are having the same problem in our school now. I just made a post about it.

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM

http://www.fairytaleshaircare.com/index.php I've heard these products are really good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)