Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 weeks into the school year, and first parent teacher conference today.....I am proud to say.....but......

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:56 AM
  • 11 Replies

Friday was the end of the first 6 weeks of school. My oldest dd is in 2nd grade. I knew all along that my dd is smart, she does very good in school, and is a hard worker. Well today I finally got the news I have been waiting for for 2 years, her teacher is wanting to test her for dyslexia at the end of the month. I am proud of my dd because even through her struggles, and her hard work she has 3 A's and 2 B's, but her reading isn't so great, her spelling/writing isn't great, and her math isn't great.........no amount of correcting her or having her fix her mistakes changes the amount of times she will flip letters, numbers, or read backwards, and her teacher does a lot of retesting her on her math. Her teacher has been pulling her from class to do one on one work with her, and there is another teacher that pulls her from class during group reading to work on reading in a much smaller group or one on one. I am happy that they are finally trying to help her, and they had nothing but good things to say about her.......however I am wondering what can I expect through the testing process and what is the likely hood that if my oldest does test and is considered dyslexic what are the chances my other two kids will need to be tested for it as well?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squeekers
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this

You might want to also check if DD has dyscalculia (mathmatical dyslexia). I've suffered from it, from the 3rd grade. Didn't figure out that it actually existed until college. I never knew reading numbers backwards & all out of order wasn't just my being dumb.

frndlyfn
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM

No clue but at least the teachers are being proactive for getting her extra help before testing.  My dd gets learning support during the reading block time so she can reach the goals for 2nd grade.

sunrisekn
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:43 AM

Yay! I don't know about the testing process but here is a bump for you 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Glad they are willing to test her and get her help. I have no idea what the testing process is for it, but they probably will not test younger siblings unless they show signs of it as well.

lashea727
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:43 AM
IM very happy that your daughter got her results at her school. IM been waiting on my son school to prove his results on his ADHD behavior cause he is getting in trouble all the time. I feel like giving up cause the school is not doing nothing about it and IM so tired and stress out too. I need some advice on what to do. Keep being strong and hope that she gets the rest that she needs
rmfanfgljf
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:48 AM
My dad's teachers kept telling me for the last two years that they wouldn't test her until she was 7 or in second grade.......she is now 8, has been retained once, and her reading is below grade level, where last year it was above grade level. Now I have been trying for the last year to get my other DD tested for ADHD and a possible processing disorder, now she isn't disruptive, rude, or mean, and she again is a hard worker, but her writing you can barley read, her work is sloppy, and she has a hard time processing things or retaining new information, she is forgetful.....I know she is smart too and would do better working one on one........I was told in June after a year of expressing my concern that they would test her this school year, I have yet to hear anything on that so its another issue I am going to have to remind them I want watched. From what I have been told is they have to watch, and keep a record of what the child is doing, their behavior, and their learning process/ability before they can test. My advice however is too keep pushing, if you want answers it is better to get them now so you can learn how to better help your child and work with the teachers.

Quoting lashea727:

IM very happy that your daughter got her results at her school. IM been waiting on my son school to prove his results on his ADHD behavior cause he is getting in trouble all the time. I feel like giving up cause the school is not doing nothing about it and IM so tired and stress out too. I need some advice on what to do. Keep being strong and hope that she gets the rest that she needs

rmfanfgljf
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM
I would imagine they will test her for both only because she she is bad with numbers, and writes them backwards too, my DD is just like the poster in your reply.....but I will talk to the teacher when we have our meeting at the end of the month. Thank you.

Quoting squeekers:

You might want to also check if DD has dyscalculia (mathmatical dyslexia). I've suffered from it, from the 3rd grade. Didn't figure out that it actually existed until college. I never knew reading numbers backwards & all out of order wasn't just my being dumb.

rmfanfgljf
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Thank you, I am relieved........my younger DD doesn't really show many signs for dyslexia but I am almost positive she has some form of a learning disability.

Quoting wakymom:

Glad they are willing to test her and get her help. I have no idea what the testing process is for it, but they probably will not test younger siblings unless they show signs of it as well.

lashea727
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM
IM sorry that you are having a hard time too I just half to get answers and questions too cause he is missing alot of work and IM going to his Therapy today. So I will talk to hidisrum about this Today. My son is very disruptive in class, not on task at all.

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

My dad's teachers kept telling me for the last two years that they wouldn't test her until she was 7 or in second grade.......she is now 8, has been retained once, and her reading is below grade level, where last year it was above grade level. Now I have been trying for the last year to get my other DD tested for ADHD and a possible processing disorder, now she isn't disruptive, rude, or mean, and she again is a hard worker, but her writing you can barley read, her work is sloppy, and she has a hard time processing things or retaining new information, she is forgetful.....I know she is smart too and would do better working one on one........I was told in June after a year of expressing my concern that they would test her this school year, I have yet to hear anything on that so its another issue I am going to have to remind them I want watched. From what I have been told is they have to watch, and keep a record of what the child is doing, their behavior, and their learning process/ability before they can test. My advice however is too keep pushing, if you want answers it is better to get them now so you can learn how to better help your child and work with the teachers.

Quoting lashea727:

nova.mommy
by Kristi on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM

My DH is dyslexic, of course he is in he's fifties so they didn't test for it in school.  He is the oldest of four, so he has three siblings.  None of them have it.

Oh and BTW he has a Masters in Physics, so she can still go far.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)