Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you disciple them?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM
  • 19 Replies
My son got his first sad face on Monday. His teacher wrote me a note explaining why even though I already knew what for(talking). He is a really good kid and is very smart but is VERY social. I have explained to him that he cannot talk during class as much as he'd like to and that he needs to listen to the teacher. Well Monday when he came home he told me he got into trouble for talking. It was his first sad face and I could have just let it slide but since I have warned him before about if he ever got a sad face what would happen I knew I had to discipline him. I made him write an apology letter to his teacher and then he was not allowed to play the rest of the day no iPad no friends and no tv. He was bummed but I warned him. So my question for y'all is what do y'all do to discipline them? He is 5 1/2 and in kindergarten. I will say I am glad that it's just talking it could be much worse(saying bad words, hitting, fighting, ect.) but he still needed to get into trouble for it.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Brett's mommy- March 26th, 2008
Brynna's mommy- December 9th, 2009

http://myjourneyfortheirmiracle.blogspot.com/

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have stopped with the apology letter and maybe losing ONE priviledge. I think you went way overboard in harshness for a first offense. What are you going to do when he does something REALLY bad?

He's in kinder! He needs to run and play and burn energy! If anything, punishment in our house, at that age, would be more of jumping jacks while saying," I will not talk in class".
2pink1blue
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM

For my Kindie, the getting the sad face and knowing I was disappointed would have been more than enough. I try not to carry punishments out too far and always have them fit the "crime". 

LuvmyAiden
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM

My dd is like this. Smart and a good kid but over talkative. She gets much the same consequences when this happens.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM
I think you went way over! I would have just talked with him again about how he has to be quieter and calm we in class.

He already got marked down, which to my kids atleast, is a very bad thing!!
sahmw2010
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM
I dunno. When my ds started in Aug, he had 1 yellow day, he was not used to school, so we sat down and talked about how he needs to do the work and listen to the teacher. Today (i have to talk to teacher) he came hone with a green fot crossed off and red dot next to it.... No explanation and he wont tell me why its red, i didnt punish him because i dont know the offense. All other days have been green
emarin77
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Your son did a good job telling you.  That means he trusts you and understands he made a mistake. You made the right decision in telling him to write a letter to his teacher with no  use of IPad.  I would keep the list to one to two things that he can't do.  Adding too many limitations will not help his behavier get better.  Understanding what he did wrong and following through will help.

AmiJanell
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM

My son is a kinder as well.... I wouldn't have been as harsh.  This is there first time in school, it's all new...they are just learning about what is appropriate in the classroom... and also learning more self control.   If it were my son, I would have just talked about it, talked about what he SHOULD have been doing... and what he needs to do better next time so that he doesn't get another sad face.  I may have asked him to apologize to his teacher for talking and not listening.  And I would probably have him think up the consequence if it happened again.  

In my son's school they take breaks when they don't have self control (it's not a punishment, it's a time to collect themselves)  My son is a TALKER... very social... so he's had several breaks... one day I think he had 7! But things are getting better and the other day I think he only had 2... he's figuring it our and learning when he's allowed to share and when he needs to keep quiet. 

Bretnasmommy
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Thank y'all for your input. It was his first bad mark and my first experience so I didn't know what to do. Next time I will just take away 1 thing so that away I will have more to take away each time. My plan was if it happened again it would be 2 days instead of 1. 

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Brett's mommy- March 26th, 2008
Brynna's mommy- December 9th, 2009

http://myjourneyfortheirmiracle.blogspot.com/

neslonturf
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM

For MY kid...getter her name on the board (for talking in class) destroyed her. She didn't need any more consequences from me. She didn't even want to go back to school, she felt so humiliated. (she's a teeeeensy bit sensitive) :) 

Debmomto2girls
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM

In kindergraten? Nothing.  Talking and being social is normal. talking to him will work.  I have two girls 12 & 15.  I have never spanked, time-out or taken away privilages. Some behavior is age appropriate and disciplning doesn't make sense. I used redirection somewhat when they were very young. I find now we just talk and they know my expectations. It really can be that simple.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)