Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How does your Parent Teacher Conference's go?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM
  • 32 Replies

Im curious how everyone's P/T conferences usually go?

Are there specific questions you ask every time you go?  Anything you usually say or want to make clear with the teacher?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM

We have a list we talk about as well as the teacher having a list.  We also update her on any important home life things that have come up that could cause school problems.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM

We go in and get 15 minutes to talk with the teacher and they tell us how our kids are doing and what they need to improve on. 

We usually ask about classroom behavior and if their are any social issues we should be concerned about.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM

We have optional P/T conferences after each grading period.  My questions vary depending on how my child did in the previous grading period and how school is going that year in general.  I can't think of anything that I'd want to make clear to the teacher . . .

SahmTam
by Tammy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

We have 20 minutes with our kids' reading teachers for parent/teacher conferences. Kids start changing classes in 1st grade here and have multiple teachers, but our school decided to have parents meet with LA teachers. The other teachers write up their comments and concerns and the LA teacher reads that. You can schedule a separate conference later with those teachers if needed.

The teacher starts by showing me a graph of testing scores showing where my child tests in reading and math. They will then discuss their performance in all subjects. They always have a binder with work samples to give examples of what they are seeing. This seems to be uniform in all of our parent/teacher conferences, so I think they all agreed on a format. They then ask if there are any questions. I don't have any set questions going in generally- I just ask any questions that come up in my mind as we go along. If there is something I really want the teacher to know about my child I write it down- I tend to forget or get off topic otherwise.

ETA: We have parent/teacher conferences once a year- they are held on the Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I usually just ask how the kids are doing.  My son's in high school so there are only conferences if there's an issue.  He's got good grades and is in honors classes so no issues.  I did request a conference in middle school; they said they only saw parents they had concerns about students with but when I said I had concerns, they saw me.  The one thing I want to talk to my daughter's teacher about is making sure she's challenged.  She's bright (not gifted, a genius, or anything like that, simply a bright kid who loves to learn and I want to take advantage of that love of learning before she finds it preferable to coast along with no effort).  I learned that lesson the hard way with my son.

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM

we don't have them for 3 more weeks

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:59 PM

We have 35 minutes with the teachers where they show us samples of work from writing, reading, math and science/SS.  They discuss strengths and goals in each area.  We ask questions along the way.  They also talk about behavior and social/emotional growth as well.

We have conferences in 2 weeks.  I plan to ask about math differentiation.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Parent/Teacher conferences will be in November.
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I just want to know how my daughter is doing socially and academically. I am given her test scores, writing samples, and a breakdown of how math and reading are going. I want to know if she's socializing with others and participating.

1plustwinsmommy
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:49 PM

35 minutes? That's a long time! I'm can't imagine having that much to talk about unless there are issues. 

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

We have 35 minutes with the teachers where they show us samples of work from writing, reading, math and science/SS.  They discuss strengths and goals in each area.  We ask questions along the way.  They also talk about behavior and social/emotional growth as well.

We have conferences in 2 weeks.  I plan to ask about math differentiation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)