Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Death

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM
  • 12 Replies

I just had to explain to my dd that one of our very close family friends died this morning. He was only 18 and killed in a car accident. DD is five and I felt like I was talking to a grown up. At the end of our conversation she told me she feels him in her heart and will always miss him. I'm such a mess right now. That was really hard. 

Thank you all for your kind words. Sorry I've been mia. It's been kinda rough.
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
surprisedmom22
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Hugs mom! I had a hard time telling my dd (when she was 5) that one of our dogs had died. We had to put him down from old age illnesses...but she was not ready to hear that. Our dogs are part of our family.

Tonight, 3 years later, the subject came up again. This time she asked if we had put him down or if he just died...I told her the truth and we both cried again for him.

I can't imagine having to explain about a human family friend.

LiLsMaMa21
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM

It definitely wasn't easy. But neither is loosing your fur babies :( I know if we lost our puppy she would be heart broken too. But I think it's harder on me because she doesn't see him every day and I don't think it'll sink in until she's asks for him next time we are at my mom's house. Then it'll be this day all over again. 

Quoting surprisedmom22:

Hugs mom! I had a hard time telling my dd (when she was 5) that one of our dogs had died. We had to put him down from old age illnesses...but she was not ready to hear that. Our dogs are part of our family.

Tonight, 3 years later, the subject came up again. This time she asked if we had put him down or if he just died...I told her the truth and we both cried again for him.

I can't imagine having to explain about a human family friend.

Samantha877
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I had to tell my dd that her grandma passed away. She was 3 when I told her and when she was 4 her grandpa passed.and just the other day my aunt passed these past 2 years has suck. Once they understand it gets kinda easier but still hard thought and prayers for the family.

lageise
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I'm sorry for your loss and that your daughter had to experience it so young.

lizzig
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:39 PM

sorry for your loss.  it's never easy to talk to anyone, child or adult, about a loss.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss!  You DD sounds like she has an 'old soul', bless her heart!

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

cupcake_mom
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM
My oldest had been dealing with death since she was 3 when my grandma died. They were very close.
Sorry about your friend. Hugs
kjbugsmom1517
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:52 PM
My oldest was 5 when my mil died. Was soooo hard.
JackandJayne
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I experienced the same with my children. They're 5 and 6. There was a quick moment of tears, then my daughter said he would always be in her heart and they both went and drew a picture for him of him up in Heaven with our dog that passed. Then we said a quick prayer for his journey into eternity. It was really sweet. We're somewhat religious so I feel the blow is lightened with Heaven and being of the mindset that the person now gets to relive all of their best memories eternally. We visit gravesites often and say hello to those who have passed; I've always found it to be therapeutic and it seems to be positive for them as well. I think it's just important to grieve together. 

Sounds like you're raising one fantastic little girl there!!! 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Good for you talking w/ her about it. I know these talks are never easy, no matter how old your child is. That "feel him in her heart" is so sweet!

Sorry for your loss.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)