Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you read what your kids are reading at school?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM
  • 43 Replies

My son is in middle school (6th grade) and I'm trying to read the same books he is reading for school.  He has a book he is reading as a class and then he has to read a certain amount of books every quarter (self selected ) and take an on-line test for each of those books.  That is part of his language arts grade as well.  It's easier for me to help him with his language arts homework if I have some context.

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

DD is only in 2nd grade so yes we read what she is reading since she reads a book a day and then needs to journal about it as daily homework.

mickstinator
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM

i hadn't really thought of that since my son isn't reading quite yet. he's only in kindergarten. 

i think it's a great idea, though! i would love to know exactly what they are reading. 

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM

My daughter's in 2nd grade; I've already read the books she's reading.  When my son was in elementary and middle school I read some of the books he read; in high school I've read cliff notes.  I read Twilight simply because it was banned from his fifth grade class and I was curious about the hype.  He had no desire to read it but I read it and didn't see the big deal.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM

It really depends on what it is. 

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM

DD is in 2nd grade, so no, I don't read what she is reading.  While I may read some books when she is in middle school to make sure they are appropriate, I will not read them all.  By 6th grade, a child should be very independent in his/her homework.  Unless your child has struggles in the area and truly needs that much help, there is really no need for you to read all that he is reading.  I would worry it would set a child up to be too dependent on a parent with homework. 

DD has language arts homewrok related to her book and does it independently.  I look over it when done (this is her first year of HW) to make sure it is up to standard, but that is it.

I would also, as seh gets older, read books she recommends as there are many great YA novels.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I did when my older kids were in 5th-8th. Now that they are in high school, I read some, but not all.

I've already read a lot of what my 3rd grader is reading. I don't feel that I need to read what he's reading - yet.

Mom2BandCJ
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I did until about 9th or 10th grade.  It allowed me to speak to them about not only the books, but about their assignments too.

Also gave me a heads up about books I surely thought more appropriate to read as a class, then independently or over the summer break.

Jenn8604
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Yep. i read with my kindergartner. Even tho it's just short sentences atm. We read over his sight words organized into sentences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Now I do because he's in K. I like YA books so I probably will as they get older. I probably will have already read many, if not most, of them. 

Pnukey
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Yep, I sure do, with the exception of "The Giver" which I just couldn't get into. DD hated it too, so she said I was lucky that I didn't HAVE to read it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN