Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Switching Schools Mid-Year

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM
  • 32 Replies
Has anyone had to switch schools anytime during the school year? How did you and the kids transition? I'm newly divorced and thought I could stay in my home until the end of the school year but now I can't. I have a son, 7, 2nd grade and a daughter, 5, kindergarten. I'm do worried about my son having to leave his neighborhood & school friends. He's been in therapy since the separation and is on meds that have totally improved his outlook, (he had suicidal thoughts at one point). He's much better now.

He's struggling in Common Core Math, that they just began teaching in MD this year. I plan to move to VA, 30 mins away, in a better school district but a much smaller home that I can afford. They haven't adopted Common Core Math in VA yet. My EX just moved into a 2 bd apartment and they were excited about that but I know I won't get the same reaction.

I'm going to pray before making a final decision. I REALLY need some advice on what to say to my kids, if this happens soon. If we move, they'll start the new school in January after Christmas break. Thank you in advance ladies!
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teamwilson
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I'll pray with you, Hun. I have not experienced this. Is there anyway you could stay with a friend or family to keep them in school until summer? Or get an apartment where you will still be allowed to attend the same school? Divorce is a difficult situation for all involved. I'll be praying for you and your family. God bless.
KyliesMom5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter switched schools with 2 weeks left before it ended for the summer. That's nuts, I know and under normal circumstances I would have just waited. BUt My ex walked out and then threatened me there was no way I was staying there. We moved and hour and half a way from our home. It was not easy on my daughter but she did fine as far as school went.

MommyO2-6631
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm worried about this too. We're buying a house and hopefully will be moving over Christmas break. He has also been on meds and in therapy since his grandparents divorced and his bio dad went to jail. But I need to look at the bigger picture for the whole family. Right now four of us are living in a two bedroom single wide trailer that we never planned to stay in more than a year, but my husband lost his job right before we were going to buy a house two years ago. It's hard to heat (like never goes above 55 degrees in the winter) and in a horrible part of town. It's just not smart for us to stay here longer than we need to. *hugs* I hope it goes well for both of us.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Make sure you talk to them and be up front starting now. Let them be involved in looking for places to live, visit schools, etc. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. Make this an adventure.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Make sure you talk to them and be up front starting now. Let them be involved in looking for places to live, visit schools, etc. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara170
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Yes, I say tell them now, have them start packing up their breakables, and let them be part of the new home seach. I would think at those ages the kids would view it as an adventure to look forward to. Besides if they start talking about moving now, in school to their friends then it won't be such a big deal.

sara170
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM
My mom always moved us over the summer and never told us and I never got to say goodbye to my friends. I would never do that to my kids, it was horrible.
Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

No experience, sorry. I hope the move goes well, and I think doing it during a break might help. Good luck.

Here's a bump.

RUMyMummy
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM

It sounds like a beneficial move for him. It might be difficult but it should be manageable. I switched schools a lot when I was a kid and it was easier when I was young like him.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes a new school can be a positive experience. It depends on how you present it, the new teacher, the quality of the neighborhood the new school will be in, etc. There are too many variables. Praying is your best bet. As a matter of fact, include your kids in the prayers. Make a prayer circle and share your prayers and concerns with each other out loud.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN