Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Fundraising Courtesy?

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Max
  • 67 Replies

We've lived in our house for 7 years. Our neighbors have three kids who are really into dance. The studio does fundraisers to help fund the program. Twice a year I buy a candle or cookie dough or whatever they are selling. When we've been short on cash I just donate five dollars. But I've always given them something. 

I took my son down to them with his first fundraiser. The mom immediately said, "Sorry, we don't need any of that." 

I know they are having a tough time financially. But I still think it sucks that I've given her kids $100-$150 a year to help their dance studio and she wouldn't even look in the catalogue to find something cheap. 

WWYD? The next time her kids come by should I give them the same reply? Or should I be the bigger person and get something?

by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM
4 moms liked this

Personally, I would not buy anything from them again.  It's sad for the girls, but if you can't reciprocate then you are on your own.  KWIM

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd not buy from them anymore.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm so glad my son's elementary and his hockey association prefer direct donations instead of fund raising.

But to be honest, if I was in your place, I would say "Sorry, we don't need any of that" next time the come around--unless it's something you actually want to buy. Since they're basing it on the item being sold instead of the fact that it's a fundraiser, I'd reciprocate that same message.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I agree, but if you do want something i would get it. I would not expect then to buy just because I did though I hope they would. Like you said they are struggling financially.... Granted if the kids are in extras tgey are not that tight financially!

Quoting Barabell:

I'm so glad my son's elementary and his hockey association prefer direct donations instead of fund raising.

But to be honest, if I was in your place, I would say "Sorry, we don't need any of that" next time the come around--unless it's something you actually want to buy. Since they're basing it on the item being sold instead of the fact that it's a fundraiser, I'd reciprocate that same message.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't buy anymore. They obviously don't appreciate all you've done to support them.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Sorry, don't need any of that.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I feel for their situation. But I agree that if they are continuing to pay for dance it can't be that bad. 

Quoting aetrom:

I agree, but if you do want something i would get it. I would not expect then to buy just because I did though I hope they would. Like you said they are struggling financially.... Granted if the kids are in extras tgey are not that tight financially!

Quoting Barabell:

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I can't believe she did that! From her perspective, you must have buckets of money. Since she has 3 kids who are participating in a dance program, she doesn't have any extra  LOL .

I wouldn't buy anything next time. I hate fundraisers. I specifically don't let my son ask the neighbors because they don't ask us & it wouldn't be right. 

jaytee
by Jen on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM
I wouldn't buy anything next time
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I have one in dance and can attest to the fact if they have three in dance, things can't be that bad!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I feel for their situation. But I agree that if they are continuing to pay for dance it can't be that bad. 

Quoting aetrom:

Quoting Barabell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)