Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Seeking tips on stopping whining and not listening behavior of 5 year old boy

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi,

I've been reading quite about about the behaviors of 5 year old boys, and wanted to seek out tips and tricks for eliminating my son's tendency to whine/cry when he doesn't get his way or feelings are hurt, and testing of boundaries with not listening to and following instruction the first time he is told.  We are doing everything we know like ensuring consistent relevant consequences when he doesn't listen, not responding to whining and emphasizing the utilization of words, acknowledging his feelings to help with outbursts (yell) when frustrated, reward system for postive behavior, etc. But wanted to see if any mommys out there had other tips as it relates to school homework, chores, etc.  Our son is generally happy and very good, but he does consistently test the boundaries and I think may be a little more whiney than most boys.  Or maybe most moms have the same issue too!

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
wanderingmuse
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM
When you figure it out, let me know.
emarin77
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I use a behaverial chart.  Have a sticker or other as a first award for behaving and a written strike as disapline.  I give the 3 strikes and you are out, meaning strike if good behavier is not shone.  At the end of the week have the second award as the one the child is working for.  My son's is going to McDonald's and playing in the playground and meal.  For us 8 strikes means no 2nd award.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I have no idea. Mine is the whiniest kid in the whole friggen world. (Can you tell I've just spent hours out and about with him?)

Idk how yo make it stop, buy I dread going anywhere with him anymore because of this.
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I started telling my boys "i sure want to listen but i can not understand when you talk like that." And it has done wonders. My oldest seldom whines and my youngest is learning. We had tried everything in the book. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdeleMarlin
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Thank you mommies I feel normal :)! Tips we've been trying that works for right now (but we always need to step it out further) is ignore the whining and state will not respond until you use your words; send him to his room to sit in the corner then he can come out hen he's ready to speak and ask properly; give time limit to say what he needs clearly and properly else no more discussion and we move on; take away privileges like play dates, minecraft play,
Bekki
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 5 and in kindergarten. This is typical. Yesterday I told him 5 times to get in the car! I feel like I need a repeat button!

They'll get there. I keep telling myself to breathe and be patient. They are only little once!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)