Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Never thought I'd have to deal with this.

Posted by   + Show Post

The other children in my daughters class are being extremely mean to her. She has told me they are calling her fat and making fun of her because she is bigger than the other children.

She picks at her food now. Even if we have a salad. Weighs herself everyday. And I've caught her on my treadmill at least 10 times.

Why are 8 year olds so mean. I could punch their parents.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Replies (21-30):
Avarah
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:14 PM
8 moms liked this
You wanna know why the girls are so mean? Look at the responses. Almost the entire first page of responses was about changing your daughter's shape (sight unseen) instead of muzzling the idiot girls.

There is nothing wrong with your parenting or with your daughter.
MamatoKy
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Yeah so is my dd - shes 56 1/2 inches(so said the dr like 2 months ago, she may...MAY be an inch or so taller but who knows)

Shes of average weight for her height. You cant just go by age. If you go by what you just said - 56 inches which is 4 foot 8 and your 10 years olds weight - 76lbs - accordng to the BMI he is underweight.

My daughter according to BMI - is at "healthy weight"

But I try too build her up, but shes really tender hearted, and of course takes everything to heart. So it really bothers her.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

My 10 year old is 56 inches tall and weighs 76 pounds. Your child sounds a little big to me. 

Look, kids have always been mean, and they'll always be mean. The best thing you can do is teach your daughter to love herself, and that it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as she is happy.

Quoting MamatoKy:

According to her height and her weight - she is not overweight. She is just taller and heavier than most 8 years old. She is 4 foot 9 and is 104lbs.

Quoting mjande4:

If she is overweight, then I would help her make better choices and exercise.  Get her in a sport/activity.  If she isn't, then talk to her about mean girls.  Regardless, let the teacher know what is happening.  Girls are evil.  Good luck!

CafeMom Tickers
MamatoKy
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM

lol I like you =)

I was like good lord, as if we dont eat healthy enough.

=)

Quoting Avarah:

You wanna know why the girls are so mean? Look at the responses. Almost the entire first page of responses was about changing your daughter's shape (sight unseen) instead of muzzling the idiot girls.

CafeMom Tickers
ReadWriteLuv
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM

How do you intend to "muzzle the idiot girls"? Its not possible. The things other kids say are totally out of our control as parents. The only thing you can do is give your kid skills to deal with these kinds of situations. 

Quoting Avarah:

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM
3 moms liked this

Her point (and I think its a good one) is that the girls are just reflecting the attitudes exhibited on the first page of this post.  A whole bunch of ladies saying that clearly her DD is overweight & needs to diet (even if its phrased as 'eating healthy & being active') rather than addressing the issue that the OP is talking about with the kids who are bullying her DD at school & how her DD is processing it just illustrates the focus we have in society of being thin.

Even if her DD is obese (and she isn't), her body image is flawed & her self esteem is going in the tank and THAT needs to be addressed.

Its wrong to make fun of someone for being obese.  Its wrong to make fun of someone for being thin.  Focus on their character & help them with healthy eating habits & being active if that's appropriate.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

How do you intend to "muzzle the idiot girls"? Its not possible. The things other kids say are totally out of our control as parents. The only thing you can do is give your kid skills to deal with these kinds of situations. 

Quoting Avarah:

October is Celiac Awareness Month - undiagnosed Celiac disease is a risk factor for miscarriages & a cause of unexplained infertility. Only 1 out of every 5-6 people with Celiacs have been diagnosed.  csaceliacs.org, celiac.com National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Gwen (43) David (56) Augie (6.5) Alex (4.5)

ReadWriteLuv
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I get that, however, what would you do about this? Would you be the Mom that would call these other girls' parents, or go to the school and talk with the teacher? What course of action should we, as parents take? Is it possible to "muzzle those idiot girls"? I don't think it is.

Quoting GwenMB:

Her point (and I think its a good one) is that the girls are just reflecting the attitudes exhibited on the first page of this post.  A whole bunch of ladies saying that clearly her DD is overweight & needs to diet (even if its phrased as 'eating healthy & being active') rather than addressing the issue that the OP is talking about with the kids who are bullying her DD at school & how her DD is processing it just illustrates the focus we have in society of being thin.

Even if her DD is obese (and she isn't), her body image is flawed & her self esteem is going in the tank and THAT needs to be addressed.

Its wrong to make fun of someone for being obese.  Its wrong to make fun of someone for being thin.  Focus on their character & help them with healthy eating habits & being active if that's appropriate.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting Avarah:

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

You do the same thing you do with any bullying - teach your child to stand up to them & report them to the teacher if standing up to them doesn't go anywhere.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I get that, however, what would you do about this? Would you be the Mom that would call these other girls' parents, or go to the school and talk with the teacher? What course of action should we, as parents take? Is it possible to "muzzle those idiot girls"? I don't think it is.

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting Avarah:

October is Celiac Awareness Month - undiagnosed Celiac disease is a risk factor for miscarriages & a cause of unexplained infertility. Only 1 out of every 5-6 people with Celiacs have been diagnosed.  csaceliacs.org, celiac.com National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Gwen (43) David (56) Augie (6.5) Alex (4.5)

soymujer
by Mikki on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Sometimes it's not always the other kids that make them that way.  My daughter would pick at her food and worry about her weight all because she was getting a belly (a week of grandma's cooking) or because she didn't want to look like a friend that was bigger.  I'm sorry you're going through with this. 

family in the van   Mom of four

UpSheRises
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM

That must be heartbreaking for you. I know that is one of my biggest fears as a parent...that people will hurt my child and there will be nothing i can do about it.

IWantOneMorePlz
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow...she's a beatiful girl!  She can have a lot of fun with this.  She could look down at these rugrats and say "You are just jealous cause you are so short."  Or just laugh at them and say "Whatever you say, shorty (or shrimp)". 

Quoting MamatoKy:

ok right for an average 8 year old.

But my 8 year old, is the "average size of a 12 year old"

And no she doesnt look chunky?

that was her, just a few days ago.

Quoting steelcrazy:

That is really pretty big for an 8 year old.  My 10 year old is 4'8" and right around 90 pounds and he is chunky, so I'd guess that the extra inch along with 10+ extra pounds doesn't slim her down much more than my son.  I'd work on building healthy eating habit with her now when she is still young.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)