Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How would you handle this?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM
  • 18 Replies

DD is 6 and in first grade, I have noticed from volunteering at her school that 1st grade its a big adjustment grade and the start of kids picking up bad habits. DD has always been a perfect kid in school,never given me a problem and all her teachers speak highly of her and her manners. So you can imagine my shock when the security guard tells me DD was choking a second grader during recess. The security guard is a nice guy and he mentioned it as conversation but like dd's old teacher said, he shouldn't have told me this because that's not his job. Well I asked DD what happened and if she was choking a child and she said no. She started crying thinking I was going to punish her but I just wanted to get to the bottom of it. I called dd's pre k teacher( I don't have her current teacher's number) and her pre k teacher contacted the current teacher and this is what happened.

DD and 2 of her friends were playing,DD thought it would be fun to take someone's jump rope and tie the second graders hands. So her 2 friends did it and the second grader started to cry. Now at home DD likes to play cops and robbers and she even dressed as a cop for career day so I know she likes playing that. However tying someone and choking them are 2 different things. This happened like a week ago and I am upset that her teacher did not tell me about it. I am going to speak to the teacher tomorrow and I told DD this was her warning to not hide things from me ever again and that she is not to play with anyone like that. DD is very sensitive when you reprimand her and she started crying. I just hope this was a one time thing and not some weird stage kids get lol. So would you have punished her? 

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Having gotten the info way after the fact I would have a stern talking with her about how dangerous that could be but I wouldn't punish her. I would also make sure the teacher knew to tell me asap if anything like that were to happen again.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM
2 moms liked this
It sounds like the teacher handled it and really didn't think she needed to make an issue of it.

I dont think teachers need to run to mommy and daddy when every little thing happens. It was a one time thing. I'm sure if behavior were an ongoing issue, you would have been told.

I say..take a chill pill momma bear
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that you may be over reacting a bit. Personally, I would have just reiterated the unsafe aspect and making sure she told me . I wouldn't have rehashed/punished something that happened a week ago. I certainly would not have tracked the teacher down at home. Your heart's in the right place , but in the big scope of things it's not that big of a deal. The school dealt with it and moved on. You need to too.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree. I dislike the idea that the parents need to be involved in everything. Teachers can (and should) handle things themselves first. If the problem continues, then contact the parents.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

It sounds like the teacher handled it and really didn't think she needed to make an issue of it.

I dont think teachers need to run to mommy and daddy when every little thing happens. It was a one time thing. I'm sure if behavior were an ongoing issue, you would have been told.

October is Celiac Awareness Month - undiagnosed Celiac disease is a risk factor for miscarriages & a cause of unexplained infertility. Only 1 out of every 5-6 people with Celiacs have been diagnosed.  csaceliacs.org, celiac.com National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Gwen (43) David (56) Augie (6.5) Alex (4.5)

Bleacher-mom
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on whether or not the other girl was also playing with them, or her and her friends where doing this to her against her will. If it was against her will, I would definantly punish her. Mainly by making her write the girl an apology letter. Also, the choking thing is kinda scary b/c at her age she may not be able to tell whether or not she is really hurting someone or not, and it could get carried too far and cause damage. As far as her keeping it from you, that would be a big issue that would need to be taken care of.

kaylasmom22
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Well I do need to be involve in everything cause that's my child. I have the right to know if something good or bad happens at school. If I do nothing and someone does something to my child because of this I'm going to go into school blindly thinking my daughter did nothing. The teacher will send cards home when kids did not behave and this was everyday so I'm surprised she thought I didn't need to know about this

Quoting GwenMB:

I agree. I dislike the idea that the parents need to be involved in everything. Teachers can (and should) handle things themselves first. If the problem continues, then contact the parents.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

kaylasmom22
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM
I didn't call her teacher I called her pre k teacher cause one of the kids is her goddaughter so I wanted to know if she knew what happened. I tested her asking her if I could call her and she said yes. I don't tend to overeact but when someone tells me my child was choking someone and I find out a week later I'm goingto get to the bottom of it. This class is very ddisruptive and some of the kids are bad. I don't want this incident to be the beginning of dd picking up bad habits from others.

Quoting mjande4:

I think that you may be over reacting a bit. Personally, I would have just reiterated the unsafe aspect and making sure she told me . I wouldn't have rehashed/punished something that happened a week ago. I certainly would not have tracked the teacher down at home. Your heart's in the right place , but in the big scope of things it's not that big of a deal. The school dealt with it and moved on. You need to too.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

You asked for opinions and the majority of us are telling you that you over reacted.  It happened a week ago, which in a classroom/school is a lifetime.  Let it go and move on.  There are going to be bad kids in EVERY class and EVERY school, just reiterate to your daughter YOUR expectations.  There is no need to contact the teacher, the security guard, her god mother, etc.  It's overkill.  Things are going to happen, just roll with them or you aren't going to make it through middle school without having a coronary.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

I didn't call her teacher I called her pre k teacher cause one of the kids is her goddaughter so I wanted to know if she knew what happened. I tested her asking her if I could call her and she said yes. I don't tend to overeact but when someone tells me my child was choking someone and I find out a week later I'm goingto get to the bottom of it. This class is very ddisruptive and some of the kids are bad. I don't want this incident to be the beginning of dd picking up bad habits from others.

Quoting mjande4:

Shy_Dia
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I kinda agree with this.... but on the other hand, if ds CHOKED somebody, I'd expect a call from the school as soon as it happens. That's something that you don't play around with.... but if it's just tying a girls hands together- while bad, it isn't as severe as cutting off an oxygen supply.

I'd also be mad at ds. If I ask, how was school? And he answered fine, knowing his butt was in trouble that day, he'd have gotten punished for lying to me.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

If it happened over a week ago and no one has done anything to your child, I seriously, doubt they will. 

Sounds to me like the incident was deemed innocent in nature, they were told not to do it again, and that was the end of it. It doesn't sound like she got in trouble for it. There's a difference between correcting behavior and getting in trouble/doing something bad.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Well I do need to be involve in everything cause that's my child. I have the right to know if something good or bad happens at school. If I do nothing and someone does something to my child because of this I'm going to go into school blindly thinking my daughter did nothing. The teacher will send cards home when kids did not behave and this was everyday so I'm surprised she thought I didn't need to know about this

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN