Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice Needed: My preteen has never had a true bestie

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM
  • 11 Replies

My preteen has never had a true bestie. She's had some good buddies and has a couple of friends that she sees often, but her friendships seem lopsided, with my daughter doing most of the inviting. I worry about this. Should I?

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sillytime
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM

It takes time sometimes. She will have many in her life..... They will come and go! Don't worry she will be just fine!

mollymolly
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.  

Quoting sillytime:

It takes time sometimes. She will have many in her life..... They will come and go! Don't worry she will be just fine!

jaytee
by Jen on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM

How old is she? My 10 year old dd doesn't have very many friends. She is very awkward socially and has a hard time making them but she has a few friends. Don't worry about it too much. I didn't make true friends until high school.

Pnukey
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I didn't find mine until HS.  Some things just take time.

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM

That sounds like me growing up.  Once I was in highschool I was everywhere with my friends.

luvcats406
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM

That is me too.  I did not have a best friend till my junior year of high school. 

DACIA79
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM
She has plenty of time she might not find one until college.
sammyreymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd is 9 and she doesn't really have a bff, she has lots of people that she hangs with, but it depends on the day and time of those friends.  This year is the first year that we are seeing my dd bonding with one family, but then we are with them for school, daycare, sporting events, so I was expecting it.

UpSheRises
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

It could mean a lot of things...it's hard to say whether you should worry.

Does she want one?

mollymolly
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM

She's 12.  Thank you for the encouragement.  I had grown up with a bestie from the time I was a toddler, mainly because we were the only kids our age on our block.  But I was worried for my daughter that she should have had a bestie by now.  These posts are giving me a more realistic perspective, though.  

Quoting jaytee:

How old is she? My 10 year old dd doesn't have very many friends. She is very awkward socially and has a hard time making them but she has a few friends. Don't worry about it too much. I didn't make true friends until high school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN