Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Upset that he is not first at everything.

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM
  • 7 Replies

My son Theo is 6yrs old and just started 1st grade. He is a very bright little boy and amazes me everyday. But lately he has started getting really upset that he is not first in everything or the fastest. He has a younger brother Zack who is only a yr younger and his sister just turned 4 months old. Now he is crying in class when he doesnt get to be first. So now his teacher is concerned and wants him to talk to the guidance counselor once a week. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I am a bad mom and that it was something that I have done or didnt do. My Husband and I have never told him that he needs to be the best or first. I dont know where he is getting this from. Help! Please. I dont want him to be labelled the crybaby by his classmates

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:36 AM

It is probably stemming from the increased pressures of 1st grade coupled with the arrival of your 4 month old into the mix. That is a lot of change for a little guy. It won't hurt him to to talk to the counselor.

endurablemist
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:37 AM
My DD always had to be first from kindergarten till 3rd grade. She wanted to be first at the bus stop, first in line, first on the bus. I know in Kindergarten it lead to some tears. She eventually got over it.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:46 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree with this, but wanted to add that you have to remember that he is the oldest at home and is most likely used to being the best, fasted, first one to do things. It isn't anything that you did or said at all, just what he has become used to.
Quoting momtoBrenna:

It is probably stemming from the increased pressures of 1st grade coupled with the arrival of your 4 month old into the mix. That is a lot of change for a little guy. It won't hurt him to to talk to the counselor.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Yep, let the counselor talk to him.

bebcarroll
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM

We are going through this with my son. except that he has not doing it at school.  In his case, when I catch him fighting to be first, he loses that right, otherwise, we try to remind him about being a good sport and that not everyone is first at everything.  He is getting better. But we have days that make me want to throttle him, when he has one fit after another. 

In your son's case, talking to someone would not hurt and might help.  At home, remind him that he needs to be a good sport and that he needs to take turns.  And you might try a little extra mom time with him.

terpmama
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

My 5 year old is like that too... He freaks out if his little brother is first or wins.... If he throws a fit he gets to be second for a while.

Supervane
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Sounds just like pressure. It wouldn't hurt to have him follow up on the teachers suggestion
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)