Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Bullying? Really!?

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM
  • 37 Replies

I personally believe that the word bully is the most overused and incorrectly used term there is.  After reading this article, I am more than convinced.  Thoughts.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57608658/bullying-complaint-filed-after-91-0-high-school-football-score-in-texas/

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:07 AM
3 moms liked this
This is going around in another post. One of the moms said, and I agree, that running up scores like that is considered unsportsmanlike but unsportsmanlike does not equal bullying. This was not bullying. And yes, the term is way overused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyAmaranth
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Totally agree....Not bullying and the term is WAY overused.

My kids will now use it for everything after the school had an assembly about it. Even telling me I'm bullying them by having them do a chore or not getting a treat they might want.

It's gotten ridiculous!

berlgirl1224
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM
I see no bullying. Our football team is great and has always been great. Other teams do get their panties on a bunch when we beat them so badly (not as bad as this score) but it is NOT bullying
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM
3 moms liked this

I actually read the original article on ESPN and the coach was quoted as saying that they were trying NOT to score.  Short of taking a knee on every play, which is disrespectful to the opposition too, I'm not sure what they should have done.  Clearly, they shouldn't be playing each other.  LOL

Quoting coolmommy2x:

This is going around in another post. One of the moms said, and I agree, that running up scores like that is considered unsportsmanlike but unsportsmanlike does not equal bullying. This was not bullying. And yes, the term is way overused.

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Wow, all I could see is a big gap in the score and thinking that someone has a really crappy football team.

I don't see it as bullying either.
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM
6 moms liked this

We are all shaking our heads over this here in Dallas.

Aledo is one of the best football schools in the state of Texas. The school is in our football district. They are the best, they always have been. When my son was still in high school, his team played them. The score was something like 56-14.

The coach wasn't running up the score. He took his starters out, he took his second bench out. What else was he supposed to do? Let the other team play catch up? Ridiculous notion. It is bad enough that this entitlement, every team gets a trophy, philosophy is getting out of hand but to call this bullying is just dumb. 

MsLogansMommy
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM

in my opinion bullying isnt usually against a group (although I am sure there are exceptions to that however rare). The origin of the term "bullying" brings to mind a picture of a student forced to give away their lunch money on a routine basis and afraid to walk to class a certain way for fear of continuous taunting. The student thinks about the bullying behaviors outside of school and worries constantly about harm to their person, reputation, or belongings. The losing football team may think of this defeat for many days to come but they arent going to fear the other players personally harming them. It is ridiculous to label a sporting event and the players bullys. I am sure there are some really kind, decent kids on the winning team and im sure this win isn't a win that they will feel the most pride over. A win against a competitor of equal or even close to equal skill or a win against a team in overtime fighting it out that is a win that evokes pride among true athletes. 

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I saw the headline and thought, oh no.....another misuse of the term bullying. 

Our society has become a bunch of whiney wimps! It's absolutely disgusting. 

bebcarroll
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Yes, the term is over used.  And by over using it, it loses its power when something serious is going on. If the winning team had been taunting the other team... and there were threats or intimidation used? That would be bullying. I don't even think that it was bad sportsman ship.  I do think that it was bad team matching by the High School Sports oversight people. 

When I was in High school if the winning team had more than 50 points over their opponent they did not stop the clock; the clock ran until time was up and then the game was over.  There would not be a score like this one in that case. ( The one game I saw like this there were 56 points over the opponenet and the winning time took a knee on the field and let the other team play unopposed for the last 5 minutes.  the other team did manage to make a touch down in that time.)

CarlysMommy1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM

That story is just unreal and I don't see how it could even come close to being bullying!  People need to toughen up some.  When parents are filing false bullying claims like this it's no wonder we have so many kids that don't know how to stick up for themselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)