Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do Your Little Ones Get An Allowance ?

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM
  • 25 Replies

My sons grandmother recently starterd giving them a allowance for helping her out around the house and there good grades in school when they get report cards. She said she wanted to show them that if they work hard then they can have something to show for it which I completley agree. Do your kids get a allowance ?

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM

They earn money for chores, but we don't just "give" them money. We are trying to teach them the value of money, how to work hard in order to earn things. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I follow Dave Ramsey so I don't use the word 'allowance' <wink>

I pay a commission for certain chores and reward money for As only on report cards.

My kids have been able to earn money this way for the past three years but they are expected to split it up when they receive it:  10% Share, 30% Spend, 30% Save 1 & 30% Save 2.

The contents of the Share Jars are donated on a regular basis to the charity of their choice - sometimes it's church, the animal shelter and sometimes even their own school fundraisers.

They can use the Spend Jar money on anything they want - I do not interfere with their choices.

They use the Save 1 Jar to save for a bigger item - my DD loves to buy herself the American Girl Doll of the Year each year for her bday & my DS loves to save up for big Lego sets.

Finally, the Save 2 Jar is deposited in their savings account at the bank each month.

Since I use this method to teach them about money, I don't buy them any 'wants' (except for bdays & xmas & occasional surprises).  In the beginning they would blow through their spend money like crazy - now they are much better about making better choices.

They are 9 & 6.

Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Nope. They have chores. They are expected to get good grades. They are provided what they need and much of what they want. They are 8 and 13.

mickstinator
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

He gets a daily allowance if he completes his chores - a whole 30 cents a day. haha! 

Yesterday, he cashed in most of his allowance for a new lego set. He was simply ecstatic. : )

miss_AP
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Allowance to learn fiscal responsibility. Good grades and chores are expected and non-negotiable (and NOT paid) because they are part of being a responsible person and family member. Extra money can be EARNED by doing EXTRA chores. But regular chores are never paid in my family. Cleaning up the playroom, the bedroom, their dishes, helping with the dishwasher, occasionally vacuuming, putting away their laundry....those are expected. If they want more money they can ask to sweep the garage, pull weeds, move rocks, clean baseboards, clean something of mom's, etc. I will never pay my kids for grades. I believe they needs the motifvation and discipline to earn grades because its the right thing to do, it makes them feel good, it gets them were they want to go, not becuase they get money from them.

luvmybug
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I give dd money for chores around the house. Keeping her room clean is not part of the deal, though. That is her responsibility.
xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM

We do stickers. 

They have a sheet with maybe 30 boxes on it, each time they do a chore or help out they get a sticker. When they fill the sheet, we get them a toy that they pick out. For my youngest son, we give him a sticker if he stays in his own bed all night since he has a problem climbing in with us lately. We also give him stickers for chores as well. 

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM

No we don't do allowances.

WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:22 PM
We don't do allowances yet, maybe later when he's older and can take the trash out and cut the grass. His room and good grades won't count, those are expected from him.
theresaphilly
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Yes all fourn of our children receive an allowance. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)