Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Anyone else have kids in the 3rd grade??

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM
  • 23 Replies

Just wondering what they are doing in school right now???

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah824
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:23 PM

DS is in thrid grade and I can honestly say that besides their spelling, reading and math I am not sure what they are working on. DS doesn't talk much about school and we don't have conferences until November. I know they do some social studies and science, but I am not sure of the specifics on those things. In math they are just starting multiplication.

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Dd is supposed to be in 3rd, but is in 2nd!
mem82
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I have a son in 3rd but we homeschool so that's not much help to you. 8)

reche1978
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:29 PM

lots or writing there doing some multiplications and reading/spelling.....

cindilou13
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:30 PM

My DS is 9 and in 3rd.  The first few weeks they did a lot of assessments, the teacher is the high ability class teacher but not all the kids in it are.  So she spent some time on figuring out where everyone was. 

They have weekly spelling and reading tasks of course, math they are working on advanced subtraction with bigger numbers and various methods and also some higher money calculations, some are working on basic multiplication too. And I would call this "english" lol but I think they call "literacy"-working on lots of grammer and writing structures, parts and types of words, sentences, stories, etc. Social Studies they've done fairly detailed USA geography-regions, states, capitals, topography; more basic global-continents, oceans, countries, and then are starting several lessons on government next week.  Science they've been working through various basics-they have done lessons on light, eyes, sound, ears...not sure what's next. 

SahmTam
by Tammy on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Yes, my youngest is in 3rd grade. Reading- IDK what story they are doing right now, but they read a piece, discuss it, and then the teacher gives them 3 essay questions based on the story- not like a quiz, which they also have on these stories- but questions that help them relate their experiences and lives to the story. They have to write 2-3 paragraph answers. I'm sure they do much more in a week, but if it doesn't come home I don't know about it. lol

The most recent math work I saw was an algebraic concepts paper. Basically things like 10 X ___ X 3 = 60. Fill in the blank.

Science- they are studying the human body. He doesn't have social studies right now- he will start it tomorrow (start of the 2nd marking period) and then will no longer have science at that time. 3rd marking period he has science again and 4th social studies.

That's the overview- IDK all of the specifics. :-)

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Melbornj
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Subtracting three digit numbers, lagitude, longitude and directions, cursive, just to name the things on the top of my head.

mom2maryjoseph
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:49 AM

So far in math mutliplication tables, reviewed addition & subtraction, gemotric shapes, and starting long division.  Science he has studied the scientific method, water, and plants and cells.  Social Studies he has done reading maps, basic goverment, and a study on our State.  English he has spelling test, and figurative language.

Iconoclast
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM
My daughter is in third and they seem th be doing a bit of review. My daughter isn't liking that much and misses her previous teacher that challenged her. Good news is that teacher moved to 4th grade teaching so she will have her next year.
highlandmum
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:39 AM

My youngest is in grade three.  Each week they have a spelling test.  For reading they have a home reading book every night that they are to spend 20 minutes on, then answer questions about the book.  They are also learning about conservation and the effects we have on the environment.  This is a sample math question that they are doing

Lacey sorted through all of her toy cars. She had 6 red cars, 55 white cars, and 833 black cars. How many toy cars did Lacey have in all?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN