Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Only white kid...

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this
I had my parent/teacher conferences Wednesday and found out from my daughter's teacher (2nd grade) that she is the only white kid in the class. My daughter tells me everything and I know she's been having problems this year ( her teacher was teaching her first year and the class was out of control; she conveniently quit right before conferences). My daughter has come home telling me things about school and how she's having a hard time. This new teacher has been teaching for a long time and I can tell she's going to get thingsaboutunder control. I just think it's awesome how my daughter has never said anything to me about being the only white kid in class. Like I said she tells me about problems at school and she's never said anything about that. Which means it's not a problem for her or the other kids. I think it's great how it's just not even an issue at all. Wow...
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Sounds like you are raising a pretty awesome kid so you should be proud but as for the teacher I don't understand why she would even tell you that your daughter is the only white child in the class, like what does it matter and who tells a parent that at a conference, so I personally would be raising an eyebrow at that teacher but that's just me, lol.

Cozie_Sisika458
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
That is awesome.
bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree, that's great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazymomma87
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Well one of the main problems she's been having is she says she's in the Spanish class and wishes she was in the English class. So I was asking the teacher why she was in a bilingual class and she was explaining to me that there are 2 "English" classes and 2 bilingual classes, and that the English classes were filled up quickly. She said this is the first school she's taught at where they have kids that don't speak Spanish in bilingual classes. She told me that the first teacher that was there did speak a lot of Spanish, but assured me that now that she is there she teaches everything in English and if someone has trouble then she will explain it to them in Spanish separately. I'malittle upset about it and wish she was in the English class but I'm not going to make a big deal out of it and anyway the new teacher seems like she's getting everything under control. So I think she just happened to mention she was the only "Anglo" in the class when I was inquiring about her being in the bilingual class. She was saying there's this many Hispanics that speak English and Spanish, there's this many Hispanics that only speak English, this many African American children, and she's the only oily"Anglo" lol.

Quoting natural_s:

Sounds like you are raising a pretty awesome kid so you should be proud but as for the teacher I don't understand why she would even tell you that your daughter is the only white child in the class, like what does it matter and who tells a parent that at a conference, so I personally would be raising an eyebrow at that teacher but that's just me, lol.

crazymomma87
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Ok she didn't say oily Anglo that was a weird autocorrect typo lol
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

That is great that your dd doesn't even think to mention anyone else's color/race. Good job, Mom!

Jellybean1123
by Jocelyn on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Great job, mom! 

aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol. Autocorrect is funny sometimes. Oily anglo! Rofl

Quoting crazymomma87:

Ok she didn't say oily Anglo that was a weird autocorrect typo lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

As much as it is a pain, it could be a good thing to be exposed to spanish as well at this age.  I am presuming it is every day spanish not formal lessons since most of the classmates it is their every day "at home" language.   We only have a few bi or multi lingual teachers so those who do not know English very well have to chug along until they get one of the translators.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)