Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is "Oh My G_d" Rude or Just Slang?

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

Note to the Clueless People Who Say ‘Oh My G-d’ in Front of My Kids

by Jenny Erikson

I know (I hope!) that if you say “oh my G-d” in front of my kids, you’re not intending to offend me, so I thought I’d drop you a note to let you know how much I’d appreciate it if you kept that phrase to yourself.

It has become such common vernacular that you’re probably unaware that there are still fuddy-duddies like me that consider it to be blasphemous. Now I’m all for equal rights and freedom of religion and all that jazz, but I’m also for not belittling anyone else’s faith, which is exactly what happens when people call on the Lord’s name in vain -- even unintentionally.

This is one of those tricky ones -- not obviously bad like that F-bomb, and not as innocuous as “fiddlesticks,” and then of course you throw in the religious aspect of it and all of a sudden you have yourself a contentious issue.

I just wanted to let y’all know that every time you say “Oh my G-d” in front of my kids, a mini internal battle takes place in my head. The do I say something or not battle.

If someone says a four-letter word in front of my kids, the response is usually a hand clapped over their own mouth with a rushed, “I’m so sorry -- I forgot she was there!” or “I’m sorry -- it just slipped out!”

But it’s hard when someone says something they don’t realize is offensive to you. How do you handle it? Do you let it slide? Do you mention it right away? Will they think you’re a prude? Will you care? What if you slip up and say it sometimes -- will you be a hypocrite if you ask others not to?

Like anything in parenting, there isn’t an easy answer in my book. Because I view the flippant invoking of God’s name as blaspheme, I want to do the right thing by Him. At the same time, I don’t want to come off as a high-and-mighty righteous biotch either. I don’t feel like God put me on the planet to go around correcting everyone. Then again -- I don’t want my kids to think this isn’t a big deal.

See? Battle in my brain.

So in the end, I talk to my kids about why we don’t say it unless we really mean it, and also that not everyone believes the way that we do. I tell them everyone has different ideas about life and spirituality, and very rarely do people actually intend to be offensive. And that it’s more than ok to say to someone, “Hey, do you mind saying ‘oh my gosh’ instead of the other one around me? It makes me feel uncomfortable.”

In that spirit, this is to all the people that say “oh my G-d” around my kids: Would you mind saying “oh my gosh” instead? I’d really appreciate it.

How do you view the phrase “oh my G-d”? Is it rude or just slang? Do you care if your kids hear or say it?

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah824
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I don't like the phrase and I will correct MY kids if they say it, but I will not correct others. I also don't worry if my kids hear it, but they know how I feel about it so they will usually tell me when someone says it.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Quoting sarah824:

I don't like the phrase and I will correct MY kids if they say it, but I will not correct others. I also don't worry if my kids hear it, but they know how I feel about it so they will usually tell me when someone says it.

Ditto.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

mickstinator
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Personally, I don't care a bit about the phrase. I was raised in very traditional household where everything from OMG to fart was off limits and, as a freethinker and agnostic now, I have no goals to make such arbitrary rules in my household. That being said, I try to respect the values of others where I find the expectations practical.

I correct my children when I hear them say this phrase because I want them to be generally polite. I also tell them we try to not say that around other people because some find it offensive, not because I believe it's blasphemous or even wrong. 

As someone who has been on both sides of this issue, I do roll my eyes at the sensitivity related to this issue. You may find the phrase blasphemous. You may teach your children that it's wrong. That is perfectly acceptable and I commend those who make such strong efforts to raise their children virtuously. I don't think it's appropriate to expect the world to cater to stringent beliefs, though. The bemoans of those who feel more people should try such often have rather hypocritical beliefs when it comes to the personal values of others who also differ from them.

sonshining
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't like the phrase and again, because of my faith. I don't correct others, but I do let my son know, as his parent, to say "oh my gosh".  Not God's name in vain.

jadedcynic
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't really have a problem with the phrase because his name is not God, that is a title. His name is Jehovah or the Hebrew Yahweh. The my in the phrase implies it to be their personal god not strictly the Judeo-Christian God. In my opinion correcting them would be more ignorant and offensive.
debramommyof4
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM

My kids are not allowed to say it.  I correct them if they say it.

Jellybean1123
by Jocelyn on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM

It's not something that offends or bothers me in any way, but I know some people, including some of my family, would rather not hear it so I generally say "Oh my goodness!", unless I am really worked up over something then I admit that I sometimes slip and say it. My children say "Oh my goodness." or "Oh good grief."

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My son says "Oh My Stars".

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM

While I teach my kids to not say that phrase (breaking a Commandment), and have them rephrase it if they do, I do not correct others if/when they say it. My kids were taught early on that just b/c someone else says something does not mean it's ok in our family.

CarlysMommy1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM

We're not ultra religious, but I don't like the phrase.  DD also knows not to say it, but we don't correct others.  When we feel the need, we say, "oh my gosh" or "oh my goodness" instead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)