Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trick or treating on a schedule? (PIOG)

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM
  • 163 Replies

Does your town have a scheduled day and time for trick or treating?

A lot of my friends who live in different states across the country say that their towns/cities/neighborhoods have scheduled trick or treating days and times. For example, if Halloween falls on a Tuesday, the scheduled time may be the Saturday before from 6-8pm.

I can see the benefits of a more structured night, but I also thinks it takes away from the fun of Halloween.

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM
3 moms liked this

We dont have a set schedule here. Everyone trick or treats on halloween once it gets dark. 

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Nope. Most people head out when it starts to get dark around here ... and then stay out until all the porch lights are off. 

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Almost every town around here is Halloween night from 6 to 8.

Except our town which is 6-7 and then they have a party in the old fire station I went last year for the first time and we are going back to going to the next town over. (like 200 people packed in a 20x20 room, you couldn't even bend over)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jellybean1123
by Jocelyn on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Our Trick or Treat here (Whitehall, PA) is tonight from 6 to 8. There are a few other towns right around us who are also tonight. Other areas are tomorrow night, while others are next week.I think they do it this way here to give our children multiple nights of trick or treating. We only ever go trick or treating one night, but we dress up on whatever night my parents have trick or treat in their town and we go visit them so they can see the boys in their costumes and so the boys can see them all dressed up as well.

Personally I miss going after school on Halloween and not coming home until we got cold, tired or all the porch lights were off.

soymujer
by Mikki on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Nope.

family in the van   Mom of four

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Its on the 31st unless that falls on a wes or a sun, then it becomes the 30th because wed and sun are church nights. Its 5-8
aj23
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM

It's on Halloween here unless it falls on a Sunday then they do it on Saturday night. There's no set time but generally it starts at dark and people start turning off their lights around 8-8:30. 

SahmTam
by Tammy on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM

It's usually on Halloween, but not always here. But it is always from 6-8pm. When I say "here" I mean my town. Out where I live no one TOTs- it would be too dangerous- no sidewalks, no road shoulder, no street lights, winding hills, etc. People from this neighborhood who like to TOT would drive down to a planned neighborhood in town.

cindilou13
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Our trick or treat hours in the city and county are always on Halloween night, but they do set a time.  Generally 5:30 or 6  to 8 I believe. But usually people start earlier and go later; though it definitely tapers off around 8 depending on the weather and what night it is too-if it's a school night you see it slow down quicker. 

We live in a great trick or treating neighborhood but have yet to get to take advantage of it!  We have to drive around to all the family instead...the upside is the kids get a ton of stuff and all stuff they like.  The downside is it takes all night, kids get really worn out, hassle of getting in and out of car/costume adjustments. 

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM
8 moms liked this

I would hate that.  Halloween needs to be on October 31 IMO.  I don't like the idea of making it a different day for convenience.  We trick or treat as soon as it gets dark.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)