Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frustrated with spelling!!

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM
  • 15 Replies

My 5th grader can't spell! The other night we were working on a project at home and I felt like I was in the middle of a spelling bee, as every other word she was writing she was asking me how to spell! She had to ask me if the word "took" had 1 or 2 "o's" in it. Christmas doesn't have a "t" and kittens is now spelled "kinntens." She fails every spelling test she has at school, but yet is pulling an 81% in the class because the teacher gives so many worksheets, word finds, crossword puzzles etc...that's how she gets her points. We had a conference the teacher was not at, but his assessment of her was 3 sentences scribbled on a sticky note: comes to class prepared, gets along well with others, participates in class... We had an IEP conference and the special ed teachers were not aware of any spelling issues, I had printed off all her spelling grades and they had absolutely no comment other than "some kids grow up to be bad spellers." "spelling is a mostly memorization." I was given a list of websites to work with her at home. The next day I sent a variety of emails and specifically asked a spelling goal be added to her IEP and they ignored it. I talked to a neighboring school district's AEA and they suggested a curriculum they use that can easily be made a multisensory program, they can borrow it if they don't already have it but it's also cheap enough it should be within our budget to purchase, but when I inquired to our AEA about this program, again....my email was ignored. This isn't acceptable, but I don't know what else to do. I want to exhaust all possibilities before calling a lawyer. Any ideas?

Sorry, I better expand ...I was stewed about this all night last night and I was pretty worked up this morning. My daughter is diagnosed dyslexic. She already has an IEP for her reading and math (which she is doing awesome at). We already spend 2 hours every night (no exaggerating), going over homework and re-teaching...that's just to keep up, nothing extra. We hire a tutor 2 nights/week to work with her. There are no extracurricular activities with the exception of dance for 1/2 hr once/week. Since she is already covered under an IEP they are supposedly suppose to get her the services (curriculum) she needs. We are exhausted. The reason I mentioned the lawyer is ...like I said...since she is already covered under an IEP they are suppose to make sure she gets the curriculum she needs. ...it's just very frustrating!

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Bump
SwtSnowflake2
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Has she always had this issue or did it just start?

Have you tried different ways to help her spell? There is a website Spelling City (also an app).

CBMMOM
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM

A lawyer?? For what? I'd find programs that help with spelling and work on it with her myself. But I'd also keep on the teacher about doing something. That's ridiculous that the teacher wasn't even there for the conference. Maybe you could try to get her a different teacher all together.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

If emails are being ignored, I'd suggest going to the school in person and insisting on setting up an IEP meeting. You might need to check into getting a Child Advocate to help you. There is no way a 5th grader should be passing spelling w/o actually being able to spell.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I woult work on it at.home with...

All About spelling...

a lesson is about.15 minites and it.is multisensory and very reasonably priced!
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM
We are using sequential spelling and i use it with all my esl students and i really like the way they teach and it takes 10-15 minutes per day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM
I second all about spelling. Seriously a lawyer because she can't spell? Education starts at home you know.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Spelling, to me, is like reading and basic math.  These are areas that should be taught and reinforced at home.  WHY would you even consider "hiring a lawyer" when it's obvious where the problem originates and how it can and should be rectified!?

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Is she having reading struggles too? I am wondering if it's a phonics issue. I teach SPED, and my students are required to use http://www.spellingcity.com/to practice their words each week. It makes a huge difference. I've seen lots of improvement since the beginning of the year in this area.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Spelling Power is good too, but it didnt start from the ground up and reinforce rules as All About Spelling does.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)