Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Parent-Teacher conference

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM
  • 9 Replies
I told the teacher that I am working with dd (1st grade) on her reading. Dd got a C for the first quarter and she would never read to me before that wake up call. Now she reads to me every day of the week and this had been going on for 2 weeks.

I tell the teacher about the practice. I ask if she will be able to move Dd to a higher reading group if she improves enough. Her answer was a firm no - that she is too busy to do testing until the normal time at the end of the quarter (December).

Can't you tell informally if a child's reading improves? Did I deserve a blunt "no"?

I'm just asking. I will be easier on the teacher if I should be. Lol. I've actually already bought her a mug from Kohls calling her an A+ Teacher to give to her for X-mas. Lol!

She was very nice at the conference and said to talk to her if I wanted any suggestions for helping dd.
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Kellileanne
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

It is done each quarter, not just randomly because a kid decided to start trying at it.  The amount that goes into day to day planning and the different evaluations teachers have to do would surprise a lot of people.

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Alright. I figured I'd get this answer. Dd was moved up in kindergarten, but I can't be sure it wasn't between quarters.

Quoting Kellileanne:

It is done each quarter, not just randomly because a kid decided to start trying at it.  The amount that goes into day to day planning and the different evaluations teachers have to do would surprise a lot of people.

Kellileanne
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot of teachers simply don't have the time to re-evaluate each kid as the time passes between quarters.  The higher the grade the higher the number of kids in each class and more testing/record keeping they have to do.  A lot of schools have had so many budget cuts they don't even have many teacher assistants anymore to help out.

Quoting Impressionists:

Alright. I figured I'd get this answer. Dd was moved up in kindergarten, but I can't be sure it wasn't between quarters.

Quoting Kellileanne:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with the previous poster and would add that there is NOTHING stopping you from continuing to push reading at home.  Have your daughter read higher books, do book reports, and answer questions for comprehension.  When retesting is done, then she maybe will move up even higher.

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I wouldn't worry.  Just keep working with her.  It doesn't matter what the teacher says as long as she is improving and moving along.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
If we tested every time families requested, we would be testing all the time. There are set times for testing so it's the least distracting as possible.
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM
2 moms liked this

There are certain times for testing.  I know that in Kindy they would sometimes move them up without testing (and in 1st) because there are so many levels to run through at those ages.  But they would need really conclusive evidence.  Also, a few weeks of practice will not necessarily move your DD up.  Keep practicing.  Make sure she is fluent when reading aloud, can summarize what she reads and answer some more in depth questions about what she has read. 

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:01 AM

The other posters gave you wonderful advice.  I think it's great you want to help your DD reach her full potential!  My DS in in 1st this year.  His school does testing each quarter too.  When he finished Kindergarten last year he was right at the reading level he was suppose to be at.  Over the Summer I worked with him a bit to help improve his fluency and comprehension.  We joined the libraries reading club and I had him read to me some each day and others I would read to him with him following along.  We would also talk about the story and what had happened in it and what he thought about it.  He also loved to play on different reading web sites online.  When they tested him at the begining of this year he had jumped ahead 2 1/2 grade levels in just a couple of months.  Keep working with her like you have at home and I am sure you will pleasently surprised with the next set of testing results.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Just keep reading with her at home .  Some tutoring services do testing so perhaps see if you can do that between quarters or as you see fit.   My dd is one of the rarer ones which tested out of the highest level so to work with her the teacher has her float all levels minus the independant level.  We do not want her doing independant level since that is when she will do nothing at all.  She is in the 2nd grade so they just recently finished testing for levels.   They do not use letter grades until 3rd grade which has been driving me crazy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)