Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Abacus

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM
  • 39 Replies
Has anyone used one to supplement the teaching of addition and subtraction to their first graders? When you read reviews, this is what a lot of people use abacuses for.

We have the Melissa and Doug, but learning resources' abacus is supposed to be better, and it comes with instructions. I'm going to try to paint the M&D to make it better and download instructions off the web.

Just wanted to know if you've used an abacus and how it worked out.
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
colins_mom
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
this is going to sound snarky, but I have had a bad morning....

how can one abacus be better than another?
Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Lol. The 10 on each row split in half by color so it is easy to find 5. Also, the LR' abacus is wider.

Quoting colins_mom:this is going to sound snarky, but I have had a bad morning....

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

We have one, and rarely use it. The kids at our school are being taught touch points.

colins_mom
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:14 AM
ah ok

Quoting Impressionists:

Lol. The 10 on each row split in half by color so it is easy to find 5. Also, the LR' abacus is wider.

Quoting colins_mom:this is going to sound snarky, but I have had a bad morning....

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I gave no idea what that is. Lol. It seems to me that the more angles you can learn something from the better off you will be. What are touch points?

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

We have one, and rarely use it. The kids at our school are being taught touch points.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Our school uses various things to help teach math. Mainly ones cubes, 10 sticks, 100 planes, 1000 blocks.

I don't think I've seen any schools in the last 6-7 years use abacus type items and I've been in 5-6 different elementary schools.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Goodness!  Reading stuff like this makes my blood pressure rise.  Kids need to learn/memorize their math facts not some convoluted tool.  I know it helps some, but the number of kids coming to the upper levels without basic computation skills is frightening and it's because of methods like this.  Ugh!  FTR I know what "touch points" are. 

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Sounds Montessori. Those materials are really expensive.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Our school uses various things to help teach math. Mainly ones cubes, 10 sticks, 100 planes, 1000 blocks.

I don't think I've seen any schools in the last 6-7 years use abacus type items and I've been in 5-6 different elementary schools.

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Does use of an abacus make your blood pressure rise? I also thought of rote memory and flash cards.

Quoting mjande4:

Goodness!  Reading stuff like this makes my blood pressure rise.  Kids need to learn/memorize their math facts not some convoluted tool.  I know it helps some, but the number of kids coming to the upper levels without basic computation skills is frightening and it's because of methods like this.  Ugh!  FTR I know what "touch points" are. 

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

kaylasmom22
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I have no idea what that is
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN