Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

how's the school year going thus far?

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 28 Replies

schools been great for both my kids so far.  my daughter is in 5th grade & enjoying all the perks that entails.  she's on the broadcast team & does the morning announcements, learning about being in front of & behind the camera.  she had her first school dance last friday (they do a black & white dance for the 5th graders in the fall & luau for them in the spring).  her grades are good as always & she loves her teachers.  she's in chorus again & will be doing basketball again in the spring.  the school has inter-mural after school basketball for 3-5thgraders in the spring, the gym teacher that does it is the high school basketball coach so he can't do it during "basketball season".  they have a girls & boys team but the last few games in the spring my daughter played with the boys due to chorus conflicts so she asked the coach if she could play with the boys again this year.  he told me last year she actually played better with the boys than she did with the girls.  she'll be getting a kindergarten buddy soon which she can't wait for.  the school will pair 5th graders up with a kindergartener that they will "hang out" with once a week; reading stories, helping them with class projects, playing with them at recess.  when they have days like science day, artist day & field day the 5th graders stay with their kindergarten buddies & help them out.  much to my chagrin she is very excited about jr high & keeps bugging me about where she'll go.  (i work in the elementary school so she can go to either one of the middle schools our elementary school feeds to, it's right in the middle of both middle schools district)

my son's doing well so far in 1st.  he's struggling with reading & writing which we knew he would.  (we're still going through testing for learning disabilities) but he's in an eip class for reading now to get him extra help & both teachers in the eip class & his homeroom teacher all tell me how hard he works.  which is good to hear because he gives up so easily at home when i try to work with him.  like his sister he'll be doing basketball again in the spring.  though the program is for 3rd-5th graders the coach invited my son to join last year when he was in k because "he has mad ball skills". 

they both also have activities out of school which they are doing good in as well.  my daughter started playing irish fiddle over the summer (she started violin in 3rd grade) & recently joined an irish ceili band.  my son is in a progressive gymnastics class.

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM

That sounds awesome!  We came into this school year with 4 out of the 5 of us in the house going to 4 different schools.  It has gone VERY smoothly.  I was a little nervous, but it's gone well.  My son is also in 5th and loving playing football for the school and competing in Battle of the Books.  My other son is in junior high and loving all of his classes and playing sports for the school.  He made the all state choir, which is a riot since he was politely kicked out of the church one at age 5. LOL  My daughter is a freshman and just went to the homecoming dance last night.  They are all busy, involved, and thriving.  I can't ask for anything more.

MeAndTommyLee
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Very well, thank you. This is a huge change for us, as I'd been homeschooling.
valrubio
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:57 PM
I have 4 in school and they are doing great and love school.
lizzig
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM

wow it must be quite a change.  are they all adjusting well?  are you?! ;o)

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Very well, thank you. This is a huge change for us, as I'd been homeschooling.

lizzig
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM

politely kicked out of church choir?  he must have been a handful at 5! ;o)  congrats to him though on making the all state choir.

Quoting mjande4:

That sounds awesome!  We came into this school year with 4 out of the 5 of us in the house going to 4 different schools.  It has gone VERY smoothly.  I was a little nervous, but it's gone well.  My son is also in 5th and loving playing football for the school and competing in Battle of the Books.  My other son is in junior high and loving all of his classes and playing sports for the school.  He made the all state choir, which is a riot since he was politely kicked out of the church one at age 5. LOL  My daughter is a freshman and just went to the homecoming dance last night.  They are all busy, involved, and thriving.  I can't ask for anything more.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Oh no, lol, he wasn't a behavior problem.  He could NOT sing on key to save his life.  He had no rhythm and no tone. lol

Quoting lizzig:

politely kicked out of church choir?  he must have been a handful at 5! ;o)  congrats to him though on making the all state choir.

Quoting mjande4:

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Honestly, it could be better! Dd didn't get great 1st quarter grades. Still, she loves Daisies and got to go to Florida. I think traveling can be very educational, she grew in her ability to swim by leaps and bounds in her grandfather's pool, and that's about all as far as activities! I've become motivated to work with her on school subjects (mostly) and it's working. She likes school, which is a plus! So not all that bad IMO, when I think about it.
lizzig
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM

ahh, i can't believe they "kicked him out" rather than teaching him.  glad he found his voice though.

Quoting mjande4:

Oh now, lol, he wasn't a behavior problem.  He could NOT sing to save his life.  He had no rhythm and no tone. lol

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting mjande4:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Eh, no biggie.  My husband and I thought it was HILARIOUS!

Quoting lizzig:

ahh, i can't believe they "kicked him out" rather than teaching him.  glad he found his voice though.

Quoting mjande4:

Oh now, lol, he wasn't a behavior problem.  He could NOT sing to save his life.  He had no rhythm and no tone. lol

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting mjande4:

MeAndTommyLee
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM
I'm good! Was very nervous and lost the first week, but my sons are loving school, doing very well. We made the change because my 7 year old needed a more structured day, our almost 11 year old wants to attend middle school next year and finally we moved far and away from Chicago!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)