Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Small children at R rated movies

Posted by   + Show Post

I will admit I judged some parents harshly today. My husband and I went to see "Bad Grandpa".  There were four different families that brought children 4/5 years of age. I'm no prude, believe you me, but I could not believe they subjected their kids to that content. The movie was hilarious, but not appropriate for young kids at all.

Thoughts?

ETA: I don't think all R- rated movies are wholly inappropriate, but there is no question that "Bad Grandpa" is. It was created by the same people who made "Jackass" for goodness sakes. I haven't laughed that hard in a while, BUT it was NO place for a child.

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
veezy
by New Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

FOOTNOTE: Annnnnnd I'm pretty young too...27 years old mother to a 3 year old....wouldn't do it now....WON'T take him AT FIVE!!!

Dee0886
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Was there a oot of sexual content or foul language or what?
CarolinaGirl88
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Ya no... we saw it Friday while our daughter was in school. Some movies, even R rates ones, I wouldn't have a problem with, but I wouldn't be comfortable with my daughter (who's 5) seeing Bad Grandpa.
CarolinaGirl88
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Not sexual content like people going at it, but there were a lot of sexual jokes and references. There was a scene in the beginning when he was humping a soda machine and his "dick" got stuck in the coin slot. Or another when he went to a male strip club, takes his pants off and his saggy "balls" are dangling out of his underwear and he starts dancing around and stays lije that for a while. It was pretty funny, but not really appropriate for kids. And yes, plenty of cussing.

Quoting Dee0886:

Allebas
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM

ROFL!! ROFL!! That is hilarious!!! How old is your DD?
Quoting LaughCryLive:

Dd loves that ghost show on animal planet. It scares the crap out of me but she loves it.

Quoting Allebas:

Eh--I was watching Halloween with my 5-year-old DD today. She is just like mommy!! LOVES scary movies! She has watched quite a few scary movies with me. She knows it is all fake and that the ppl are not 'really' being killed. She never has nightmares or wets her bed or anything after watching scary movies with me. Each parent has to decide for their own families what they feel their child can handle.

LaughCryLive
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Quoting Allebas:

ROFL!! ROFL!! That is hilarious!!! How old is your DD?
Quoting LaughCryLive:

Dd loves that ghost show on animal planet. It scares the crap out of me but she loves it.

Quoting Allebas:

Eh--I was watching Halloween with my 5-year-old DD today. She is just like mommy!! LOVES scary movies! She has watched quite a few scary movies with me. She knows it is all fake and that the ppl are not 'really' being killed. She never has nightmares or wets her bed or anything after watching scary movies with me. Each parent has to decide for their own families what they feel their child can handle.

Mummy2Connor
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I would never take my son to a rated R movie in the theaters, but at home he does watch some things that maybe he shouldn't.

We watch the Walking Dead, Dexter, and American Horror story series "together" (We're in the same room, but he's off playing with toys)

Meladonis
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this

If a person wants to let their kid watch R-rated movies, fine, do it at home. A movie theater isn't really the place for it, esp. if it is a late night showing. It's also kinda awkward having a small child sitting next to you during the more "adult" moments in the movie and you can hear them asking the parents what's going on.

momoftwogirl55
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM
No, not to an r rated movie.
Dee0886
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Oh, gotcha. Cussing I'm not TOO worried about. My kids know better than to repeat it and know the consequences of repeating them if they do. Scary stuff I don't really shield them (don't get me wrong I screen it first and have my limits) but sexual content is a whole other thing to me. But these days you can't even really rent a childrens movie without there be enuendo or something. Thankfully it's pretty subtle and kids don't get it lol. 

That movie does look funny though. May be good for a date night movie!

Quoting CarolinaGirl88:

Not sexual content like people going at it, but there were a lot of sexual jokes and references. There was a scene in the beginning when he was humping a soda machine and his "dick" got stuck in the coin slot. Or another when he went to a male strip club, takes his pants off and his saggy "balls" are dangling out of his underwear and he starts dancing around and stays lije that for a while. It was pretty funny, but not really appropriate for kids. And yes, plenty of cussing.

Quoting Dee0886:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)