Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Small children at R rated movies

Posted by   + Show Post

I will admit I judged some parents harshly today. My husband and I went to see "Bad Grandpa".  There were four different families that brought children 4/5 years of age. I'm no prude, believe you me, but I could not believe they subjected their kids to that content. The movie was hilarious, but not appropriate for young kids at all.

Thoughts?

ETA: I don't think all R- rated movies are wholly inappropriate, but there is no question that "Bad Grandpa" is. It was created by the same people who made "Jackass" for goodness sakes. I haven't laughed that hard in a while, BUT it was NO place for a child.

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
MamaKarrot
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Gosh and I feel bad letting my DS8 and DD5 watch Harry Potter.

LAHnTAH0812
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:27 AM
You're gonna fit right in!! Lol

In all seriousness, i agree. No way would I allow it. My mother took me to all kinds of R rated movies as a kid, some of them scared the shit out of me.

Quoting veezy:

Laugh My Ass Off....I literally did the quick sign up JUST so I could respond to this....you can ban me if you want afterward here goes: 
Are you guys that let your little CHILDREN go see R-Rated movies on FUCKING DRUGS?!?! REALLY. REALLY?! As a former psychology major with friends colleagues in the field this is ABSURD TO HEAR... to expose  your children to such material before they are even emotionally able to comprehend it....LAUGHABLE.....

alf2651
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:33 AM

This.

Quoting Meladonis:

If a person wants to let their kid watch R-rated movies, fine, do it at home. A movie theater isn't really the place for it, esp. if it is a late night showing. It's also kinda awkward having a small child sitting next to you during the more "adult" moments in the movie and you can hear them asking the parents what's going on.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TheLadyAmalthea
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:19 AM

No, I don't take my kids to R movies. If I want to watch and an R movie, I get a babysitter. I've been to midnight showings of R rated movies in the past and people drag their kids there.

AshCH
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:21 AM

I sat next to a five year old at  "The Purge" I wanted to cover his eyes so many times! he didnt freak out or anything but i wont even watch horror/murder movies with my almost 2 year old! I dont know if that puts bad things in their brains but im not willing to risk it! I dont know if I'd be as freaked out about the Bad Grandpa one, I wouldnt do it but in that case it doesnt worry me as much as violent gory movies! 

dallascowboys82
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Happen to me twice, I went to see the last Fast and the a furious , twice I went and both times had screaming kids..I was pissed..I went to the
Manager and asked about it. He said he was sorry and gave me four free movie passes..next I waited till the frist showing which was eight am and I was alone in the whole place.
Jenn8604
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:49 AM
An infant yeah they won't remember. 4/5 no.
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:52 AM
My young children have seen selected movies (spiderman, transformers, i will not put on harry potter till we read it.... Same with the hobbit) but i have a big problem with them taking them in a cinema to movies that are clearly for adults.

Last night we experienced this. A family in front of us had a 4-5 year old at escape plan. High violence, tons of swearing, torture, etc. He was a disturbance in the movie (talking, wanting to play, etc) and i can not imagine wanting my kid to see half of those scenes. He can not understand the plot, etc. What is the point unless you just do not want a babysitter?

Quoting MamaKarrot:

Gosh and I feel bad letting my DS8 and DD5 watch Harry Potter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:53 AM
4 moms liked this
I do not think the theaters should allow them in until a minimum age even with parental approval.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saywatuwill
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:50 AM

That age range... I wouldn't. A baby sleeping on my chest in a carrier (under 6 months type age) I'd be okay because the kid will sleep and not remember it. But that age just doesn't make sense to me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)