Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Small children at R rated movies

Posted by   + Show Post

I will admit I judged some parents harshly today. My husband and I went to see "Bad Grandpa".  There were four different families that brought children 4/5 years of age. I'm no prude, believe you me, but I could not believe they subjected their kids to that content. The movie was hilarious, but not appropriate for young kids at all.

Thoughts?

ETA: I don't think all R- rated movies are wholly inappropriate, but there is no question that "Bad Grandpa" is. It was created by the same people who made "Jackass" for goodness sakes. I haven't laughed that hard in a while, BUT it was NO place for a child.

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Replies (41-50):
GleekingOut
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I'll admit - I took DD10 to see Lord Of The Rings when it first came out. She got bored halfway through and fell asleep on my lap.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see BG and LOR remotely the same, even if the ratings say otherwise. KWIM

Quoting GleekingOut:

I'll admit - I took DD10 to see Lord Of The Rings when it first came out. She got bored halfway through and fell asleep on my lap.

GleekingOut
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:59 AM
I haven't seen the movie in the post. I'm not really a big action/thriller/horror person - but back in the day when LOR came out everyone was appalled that DD went to the cinema with us. Considering that she had just finished the 4th Harry Potter book and wasn't freaked - I knew she'd be okay and that she had learnt about special effects and so forth. lol - I even had one mom tell me that I 'wasted the cinema's profits' by allowing her to fall asleep.
Quoting mjande4:

I don't see BG and LOR remotely the same, even if the ratings say otherwise. KWIM

Quoting GleekingOut:

JulietAngel89
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Pretty sure over here they dont allow children to even enter an R rated movie. 

From the trailer of bad grandpa I wouldnt mind my kids watching it. Looks hilarious

valrubio
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM
There is a reason they are rated R and I would not take any of my kids even if they were teens to one.
2teens2LOs
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

the kids that age probably didn't "get" all the situations as you think they "got" them

LaughCryLive
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Lol. Movies do not cause these behaviors. My child doesn't do any of it. She asks to watch horror shows and has never had a nightmare.

Quoting Saharra:

This. And wow.... My 6yr old is very "behind" to a lot of these kids on here and at school. He's still happy watching "Nickjr". But in my eyes, why push him? But on the other hand- I'm not dealing with him trying to cuss AT ALL. I'm not dealing with nightmares EVER. Absolutely not dealing with anything sexual or bed wetting. And he's not pushing for other tv shows or anything. If he asks for something more mature I am ready for him to ask, but he hasn't, so I don't see a need to push. Besides that- we are outside a lot (usually playing in the mud). Not in front of the TV.

Quoting saywatuwill:

That age range... I wouldn't. A baby sleeping on my chest in a carrier (under 6 months type age) I'd be okay because the kid will sleep and not remember it. But that age just doesn't make sense to me. 

LaughCryLive
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:17 AM
That has to do with parents not talking to their children. How many little boys grew up watching cow boy and Indian shows? Cartoons that I watched as a kid are now rated R (Loony Toons).

Quoting cjsbmom:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with you here. This is disturbing reading about the kinds of movies and shows people are allowing their young kids to watch. Dexter? Walking Dead? Seriously? No wonder we have so many kids in this world walking around with no sense of reality and what will really happen if you pull the trigger on a real gun. *sigh*

Quoting veezy:

Laugh My Ass Off....I literally did the quick sign up JUST so I could respond to this....you can ban me if you want afterward here goes: 
Are you guys that let your little CHILDREN go see R-Rated movies on FUCKING DRUGS?!?! REALLY. REALLY?! As a former psychology major with friends colleagues in the field this is ABSURD TO HEAR... to expose  your children to such material before they are even emotionally able to comprehend it....LAUGHABLE.....

baquick
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Yeah- I'm pretty liberal with movies and such in my house, but that's just too much. My 3 yr old loves watching true blood with me. I usually watch it first and then take note of where the sex scenes are skip them. He also watches walking dead with me, he likes to pretend he's Daryl with a pretend cross bow lol.

But yeah- no way DS would watch that.

Quoting CarolinaGirl88:

Not sexual content like people going at it, but there were a lot of sexual jokes and references. There was a scene in the beginning when he was humping a soda machine and his "dick" got stuck in the coin slot. Or another when he went to a male strip club, takes his pants off and his saggy "balls" are dangling out of his underwear and he starts dancing around and stays lije that for a while. It was pretty funny, but not really appropriate for kids. And yes, plenty of cussing.

Quoting Dee0886:

Was there a oot of sexual content or foul language or what?

momto3B
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not bring anyone under 15 to an R rated movie or let them watch it at home for that matter. I am not prude, I just think they have their whole lives to view violent / sexual content. 

"Bad Parents" bring young children to R reated movies. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)