Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What age do you think a child should be for a PG-13 movie?

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:13 AM
  • 28 Replies

My son just turned 9 and his sister wants to take him to see Ender's Game. The rating is due to violence. I'm saying he has to read the book first. 

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tel4him
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:21 AM

It would depend on the movie.  That movie I would probably let a 9 year old see.

SnowWhieQueen
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:37 AM

it depends on the movie and i try to watch it first with my kids..so i know why its rated that..but my kids have seen a the twilight movies,Pirates of the Caribbean movies ect...but i watched them all first..

MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:39 AM
I agree, it really depends on the movie.
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this

My girls are 5 and 8 next week. Thus far, they have not been allowed to see any PG 13 movies as we feel they are not appropriate. That said, my oldest has been reading the Harry Potter series and is now in book 4. She has seen the first 3 as they are all PG. This books' movie is PG 13 so I am *very* on the fence. I know why it has that rating as I am a self proclaimed "Potter Head" and adore the series. She is in chapter 13 of the book and I know she is going to ask to watch the movie when she finishes it. ( well, when we finish it as I am requiring her to read it with me since it gets so dark at the end of this one) I might allow her to watch it with the caveat that I skip over about 5-10 minutes towards the end of it as it is just going to be too freaky for her to sit through. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I'll have to see it first to decide it I'd let ds2, 9, see it. I'd probably like for him to read the book first, too. I'd love to take ds1, 14, though- he has read the book. There is no way I'd let dd, 7, see it- too intense for her.

GleekingOut
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Depends on the movie. I've noticed a few movies have been (IMO) rated either too high or too low. For instance me and my DD sat down to watch LOL with Miley Cyrus in it and it was rated PG-13 and I felt it should have been rated M for all the virginity talk (and loosing of) and the drugs - but because there was no language it was PG-13. When DS was 5 he watched Spiderman which is M. So it really depends on the movie and what I think of it when I see it. There's certain actors and actresses that I've vetoed too - for instance, I don't let my younger kids see anything to do with Miley Cyrus or Vanessa Hudgens, I don't feel either woman is  appropriate.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:51 AM

It depends on the movie.

ladyraven16
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Its movie dependant. My boys are 4&6 and have seen all the transformer, Spiderman, x-men,fantastic 4 lord of the rings and harry potter movies. They love them and none were too intense. I didn't watch the trailer but if it was interesting for my kids and they wanted to see it I wouldn't care. We just watch them together and talk about it.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I agree that it depends on the movie. My son has watched the Iron Man, Avengers, Star Wars, etc. movies and some of them are PG-13. We discuss language and that's the main concern at this point. Violence is a concern too and we sometimes discuss that too. Thankfully he hasn't really wanted to watch anything with inappropriate behavior related to sexuality or that sort of thing. :-)

My son will be 8 in November.

TatyBear
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM
I bring my 11 and 5 yr old to 18+ movies, so pg-13 ones a long time ago IMO. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)