Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should kids get paid for doing chores?

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM
  • 47 Replies
What are your views on having to pay your child for do chores?Children benefit getting paid so they can learn how to be responsible with their money, but then children will not take initiative in doing chores without getting payed.
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cheetah90210
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:34 PM
No
skylersmom44
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I do not pay my kids to do the chores I expect from them, however, I rencently started paying my son for picking up dog poop in the yard. That is something I don't expect of him, so I reward him for helping out. 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM
This is exactly what happens at my house

Quoting skylersmom44:

I do not pay my kids to do the chores I expect from them, however, I rencently started paying my son for picking up dog poop in the yard. That is something I don't expect of him, so I reward him for helping out. 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Ds has chores that he's expected to do and he doesn't get paid for them. I do pay him to clean the backyard.
LadyAmaranth
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I think money isn't necessary but I think if you implement a monthly reward for doing chores, especially without being told, then a trip to the dollar store or dinner at fav place is cool.

Especially when they are still young and learning.

cella_bella
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM
My 7 year old earns stars in our house for rewards. Rewards are for chores, good grades, whenever she does anything i think a star should be a reward. For every ten stars she earns one dollar. I think it does teach her the value of a dollar. Whenever she wants something in the store i ask her if she wants ro use her money to pay for it.
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 4:50 PM

We have "expected" chores for which they are not paid.  Things like cleaning their room, helping with laundry, doing dishes, taking care of the family pets, etc.  Now they can do extra work that they will be paid for such as extra yard work, deep cleaning or whatever else that needs doing that has been put off.

lazyd
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I have always had issues with this!  Even if I had the money (which i don't), I would not "pay" my kids to do things that are EXPECTED of them!  They are part of a family and we all need to work together to keep a clean household.  I work a JOB and get paid for it, but i have a "second" job and that is maintaining a household and raising children - in which I don't get paid, so why should my kids!?  Getting good grades is also a "requirement" and expected, so i'm not going to pay for that either.  My kids' "first" job is school, when they do anything "extra" than they might get paid for it.  (Like a job in the real world when they're old enough).  

How about paying your kid's to take a BATH/SHOWER?!  My sister put on her refrigerator a chore list - each kid (3) has a chore for each day (it can be the same chore - daily) and all my nieces and nephew have to do is highlight when they did that chore.  Of course my sister doesn't pay attention that her kids have done their chores or not - all they have to do is "highlight" a chore and my sister thinks it's done - when half the time I'VE done the chore (i watch my sister's kids) or my sister has done the chore!!  On this chore list is TAKE A BATH/SHOWER!!!!!!  I'm sorry, but my kids took/take baths/showers daily since they were babies - and still do to this day!  I don't even have to ask them!  Why would you have to "make" or for that matter PAY a child to take a bath!?!?  My nephew is 7 and plays football - but yet comes home smelling of sweat and touching a dirty football with dirty equipment and DOESN'T have to take a shower!  My nieces are 10 and 12 and play soccer, gymnastics and volleyball DAILY and STINK but yet DON'T take showers!!  It's on their CHORE LIST!  They get paid to take a SHOWER!  My kids just automatically did it, especially after they played and sweated.  Than my sister complains about why her kids get lice all the time.  I mean these girls are going thru puberty and stink and have long hair which needs daily washing.  All three of these kids complain constantly about having to take a shower!  Why would you not want to smell pretty and be clean?  And no, i don't know how much each "chore" including taking a shower is.  I haven't really cared - i don't pay them and never will.  

Okay, enough of the rant - it was probably off topic.      

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 31, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Not in my house. 

When they get older we will offer to pay for extra work. But I don't get paid for chores so neither will they. 

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Nope, I do not agree with paying them for chores around the house. I think it is good for kids to do things for free. It teaches them to be helpful without expecting anything in return.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN