Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I made a formal complaint about the school crossing guard?

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 18 Replies

My daughter is in kindergarten. I work 8 am to 1pm in another city and so i never get to drop her off at school, only at the before-care program on-campus, and then pick her up in after-care (dismissal is 12, and I get off 1 hr later). It's a rare treat when i take her to school, for her and I.

Today was a special day a s we know, halloween, and I requested the day fof so i could see the parade she was in and also go to ehr class party and help out. I get to the school, 5 min early, after she's in her costume (along w/everyone else), and it's PACKED!  A wild mess. One of the crossing guard aldies (the ncie, matter-of-fact one) tells me it's full and I should just park on the street. I nod, and I see parents dropping their kdis off in firezones. The kids are at least 6 or so, so i wouldnt do that w/my daughter (I'm too much of a worrywart). I do see some sibs taking real little ones like my daughter or relatives while the mom ro dad wait w/hazard lights. There are stduent volutneers, 4th and 5th graders, who walk kids younger to their class. If you drop them off in this area. I decided to do this, seeing it would make her late to her class, and then i could park somehwere otuside so I wouldnt msis the parade. I pull into that area, and the crossing guard knocks on my window. I roll down my window, and she says, sternly "that's not really ALLOWED". I say "I know, I'm just here to do the valet thing" (that's what the other crossing guard called it). She smirked, and condescendingly said, "there's no valet parking here." Like I'm some entitled snob. I said "well thats what the other crossing guard told me it was." She said, "oh you mean to have the other kdis walk her?" I said, "yeah, that's why I parked here." and she said "okay well next time you need to go in the other lane to do that." I said "Okay, i didn't know that." I then said, "just curious, I see other people waiting while others drop them off. if that's not allowed, why make exceptions for them, and not for me? I'm just gonna be in and out." she said, rudely "I don't know what you see, but i see you in an area you're not allowed in."Do you want a student to walk your child to class?" I said "yes". She says to the nearby boy, 'sweetpie, take her to her class" about my daughter. Her? wtf? I know you dont know her name but geez afetr everything else you said? Then I said to the boy, 'she's in E3," since i know he's not psychic.

My daughter was attempting to get out, and the woman said "cmon, there's people behind you , so you're gonna have to hurry this up," to us. WTF? My daughter is 5, she has a costume on, she's not used to this routine., and she's a slowpoke to begin with. I then said, 'you know what? Forget it. If it's like that I'll just walk my own child to class." She was liek 'fine by me, but you need to move so others can come". I then said "alright, but i really feel as a parent of a child here at this school, you were really rude to me." An appropriate, professional, courteous response would've been "I'm sorry you felt that way. I did not mean to come across that way, but I'm just doing my job." Instead she said, "well you were rude to me first, so now we're even." with a smirk on her face and her arms spread, like ready to fight body language. and even tried to shake my hand. WTF? IN FRONT of my child? Talking rude, and disrespectful to me, in front of my FIVE YEAR OLD child, and acting olike life is about 'getting back" at people? She represents the school, no matter how low on the totem pole her pay maybe. It doesn't give her a right to disrespect or be rude to parents IN FRONT of their child(ren)! What kind of message does that send to my daughter? That you should always "get back" at people? I was livid and had a lot more to say but I drove off, found a spot outside, walked my girl to her class, and dropped off the goodies, then went to the office and explained to them what happened. I have a formal meeting with the principal regarding this.

I know it's early, and she's tired, but there is NO EXCUSE to treat a parent of the child of the school you work at this way, and doing it in front of others is unacceptable IMO. I hate to be that one parent who b*tches and moans about everything, but i jsut can't let that last remark go. "We're even" spoke voluems to me about her character, how hostile and conbative and defensive she is, how argumentatvie and ready and willing to argue with others she is, and how she has no regard for the children really if she can say that to their parents in front of them. I work at another school as a para in another district (trying tog et my dd in right now), and I would never speak like that to a parent.

What do you think? what would you have done if it were you? would you have let it go or complained like I did? or am I just making a big deal over nothing?

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow. Personally I think you seriously over reacted. Should she have said the last line? No. But everything else was justified & didn't sound rude at all. You know what's rude? Clueless parents who screw up the rather complicated yet typically smooth flowing routine by doing the wrong thing. I'm sorry to be harsh but I really think you were more in the wrong here than she was.
MommyO2-6631
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Well that's a little rude. Everyone is new at some point. You know how it becomes "smooth flowing"? By someone informing the parent doing the wrong thing what the correct way to do it is. That's all the crossing guard had to do. How was she supposed to magically know how the drop off line works?

Quoting the3Rs:

Wow. Personally I think you seriously over reacted. Should she have said the last line? No. But everything else was justified & didn't sound rude at all. You know what's rude? Clueless parents who screw up the rather complicated yet typically smooth flowing routine by doing the wrong thing. I'm sorry to be harsh but I really think you were more in the wrong here than she was.

Melbornj
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with the first poster I think you blew this way out of proportion in many aspects. I don't think this is something that should be addressed with the Principal. there are many battles to fight but in the end she may have offended you but it was really not that big of a deal.
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:13 PM
2 moms liked this
And that's exactly what the crossing guard did. Explained that she was in the wrong place & how to do it right. It was the OP who then became argumentative based on her own story above.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Well that's a little rude. Everyone is new at some point. You know how it becomes "smooth flowing"? By someone informing the parent doing the wrong thing what the correct way to do it is. That's all the crossing guard had to do. How was she supposed to magically know how the drop off line works?

Quoting the3Rs:

stormy0142
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

You are blowing this situation out of proportion.  She is there to ensure the safety off all children and traffic moves smoothly.  I would there you are equally to blame for the course of the conversation.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:02 PM
As I said in mc. Yes her last comment was rude. But you were a bitch the whole time.

toriandgrace
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the others, you're blowing the situation entirely out of proportion. As a parent who regularly drops off/ picks up my kid, I've learned that you have to teach your kids to hurry in and out of the vehicle, otherwise you're making lots of other children late. Maybe you should have called the school to familiarize yourself with the drop off procedures ahead of time or arrived early enough to park on the street and walk your daughter in without her risking being late? 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I'm impressed by those able to make it through that! Long paragraphs and small font are not my friends, I'm clearly tired on top of having old eyes.

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I had a parent yell at me last night at my sons t ball game in the dugout in front of all the children. Who are four and five years old.

MommyO2-6631
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:03 AM
But she also said the crossing guard was using a rude tone... there was no need for that!

Quoting the3Rs:

And that's exactly what the crossing guard did. Explained that she was in the wrong place & how to do it right. It was the OP who then became argumentative based on her own story above.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Quoting the3Rs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)