Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Are they old enough?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:54 AM
  • 40 Replies
I am a single mom of two, a 7 and 8 year old. I started running a few months back. It's something that I enjoy and want to continue. When I started I had help at home. I was able to go out running in the morning before my kids got up. However I no longer have that help. It's becoming harder and harder to get out. I'm learning if I don't do it in the morning it usually doesn't happen at all. So here's my question.

At what age is it ok to leave your kids in the house. I'm referring to a 30-60 minute time frame where I will be in the neighborhood. My kids dad thinks they are old enough. And they would be sleeping so chances are there won't be any problems. But I am unsure about it. Most of my friends don't say their opinion one way or another. Maybe they don't know or maybe they just don't want to say. One has said she just started doing that. She has a 8 year old and a 13 year old. I'm not sure that is the same situation bc she was waiting for the 8 year old to get older, more so than the 13 year old.

With the time change it's lighter earlier. I really want to get out there a few mornings a week. I just don't know though, are my kids old enough?
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Des10ed2b
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:00 AM

for me personally, i would say no. i personally would just not be comfortable with that. unless you would be running laps in a short distance where you can see your home where you are running. have you tried running place at all?

momma-of-three3
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Maybe 8-9? I left my oldest two dds home alone for that long for the first time when one was 10 and one was 6. We built up to it though.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:07 AM

My kids are 7 & 8 years old and we will go running and leave them for 30 minutes max alone. 

Trisha0822
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:07 AM
No I have not tried that. I do feel uneasy about it which is why I have not tried it yet. Someone else did mention just running up and down this one street in front of my house. I'm not quite sure how that would work for me. I think that would be perfect for track type running but not long distance.
Trisha0822
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:10 AM
When I use to run around the neighborhood it would be about 30 mins. When I am out sow where else with others it's closer to an hour. They will be 8 and 9 in February.
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Too me, that is too young. Can you run right after you drop them at school (or they get on the bus)?
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I would stick w/ a 30 min run w/ them being that young and hold off on longer until the oldest is closer to 10.

I'd also make sure my kids know the night before "Hey, Mom will be out running in the morning while your asleep. If you wake up, you can do ________. I'll have my phone if an emergency comes up."

IAMmomtotrips
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM
I'm a long distance runner also. I have 3 seven year olds. The road in front of my house is .2 miles long from stop sign to the cul-de-sac. When their dad is at work (24 hours on and 48 off). I run that loop. 4 full laps is a bit over a mile.

The house is never out of my sight, and my girls know to pick up our walkie talkie and call me or just walk to the front door and yell for me.

I can't wait for them to be a few years older when I can leave while I run.

Now this only happens maybe once a week, if that, because if it's on the weekend my mom will watch them for my long runs.
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
My girls are 4 & 6 when I have them home with me I run the little street in front if my house in street sprints. Its not as enjoyable as long running but its the happy medium since I can see my house at all times and the girls know to walk out front and I will see them. I look forward to the days when they are closer to 10 & 12 and I can leave them to go running. But even then it would be on a lap so im back by the house every 5 minutes or so.
cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Running in place does not give you the same results. It is not the same as actually running. You get no stride, no nothing

Quoting Des10ed2b:

for me personally, i would say no. i personally would just not be comfortable with that. unless you would be running laps in a short distance where you can see your home where you are running. have you tried running place at all?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN