Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

need advice BAD!!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 32 Replies
Our DS and DD got report cards last week. DD had all As and one B. DS had 2 D's and 4 F's. I talk to his teacher and she said he talks in class, won't turn assignments in, and when he is supposed to be working he looks at a book instead. He rushes thru assignments and won't ask for help.

He is right now grounded from his toy guns and his GPA told him unless his grades are brought up he wont be hunting this year. My problem is I don't think this will work. My DH and I have already tried grounding him and it didn't work?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Did you mention to him that if he doesn't straighten up he will have to repeat the grade? I'd say that's a good wake up call.
rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM
3 moms liked this

Obviously this is more than just not turning in assignmens and talking in class. This is failing tests and not getting the help he needs. I don't know how old he is, but he's not getting the attention he needs from his teacher. Grounding definitely isn't going to work. My best advice is to set up a meeting with the teacher and see what the real problem is. My daughter was having issues in class with talking and not finishing her classwork, so her teacher and I set up a behavior chart for her, and her dad and I reward her every weekend if she does well in school. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM

What ages are we talking about?

I would have mandatory homework/study time. A minimum of 1 hour per evening with 15 minutes per subject under a C. I would be following his butt to school and making sure that things were bnig turned in. He would havea DAILY note coming hoe with how he did each day.

belleody
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM

There are a number of things that you can do.  The easiest potential solution could be to get a tutor for your child.  Giving your child the opportunity to learn some structure and guidance outside of school can teach him or her how to complete assignments and could help your child learn how to take their time on an assignment.  Another thing that can be done is to have him evaluated by a psychologist for potential learning disabilities or attention deficit.  I would suggest that you try getting your child a tutor first, and see if that helps, if your child continues having the difficulties that you described, have him evaluated by a psychologist.  Best of luck!

belleody
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM

You make a really good point.  I could be something about the classroom structure or teaching style.  Maybe there are too many kids in the class and the teacher is not taking, or cannot take, the time to motivate the child to complete assignments. 

mickstinator
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM

have you thought of getting a tutor? clearly at this point, he's behind as well as lacking motivation.

Stevensmomma
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM

It sounds like he is board just talk with him and see what's going on

JLC_mama
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Yea we told him a month ago when problems started if he didn't straighten up him and his sister would be in the same grade next year. Didn't help.

Quoting Impressionists:

Did you mention to him that if he doesn't straighten up he will have to repeat the grade? I'd say that's a good wake up call.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JLC_mama
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM
DH is 9 DD is 8

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

What ages are we talking about?

I would have mandatory homework/study time. A minimum of 1 hour per evening with 15 minutes per subject under a C. I would be following his butt to school and making sure that things were bnig turned in. He would havea DAILY note coming hoe with how he did each day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JLC_mama
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I should have mentioned he has ADD.

Quoting belleody:

There are a number of things that you can do.  The easiest potential solution could be to get a tutor for your child.  Giving your child the opportunity to learn some structure and guidance outside of school can teach him or her how to complete assignments and could help your child learn how to take their time on an assignment.  Another thing that can be done is to have him evaluated by a psychologist for potential learning disabilities or attention deficit.  I would suggest that you try getting your child a tutor first, and see if that helps, if your child continues having the difficulties that you described, have him evaluated by a psychologist.  Best of luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)