Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How much food does your 8 year old eat?

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:09 AM
  • 21 Replies

My bio-son could eat and eat and eat.

I don't know if it is normal or not. He isn't overweight by the charts/bmi but it seems like a ton of food and could be headed that way.

For example one day last week:

Before school: 2 eggs with milk

School breakfast: Egg and cheese and sausage burrito, a big banana, white milk,

School lunch: Salad, apple, strawberries, pizza slic, milk, juice

after schol snack: bagel with peanut butter with water

Dinner:

Water

1.5 oz of steak,

1/2 cup of augratin potatoes

1 c of salad (lettuce, onion, and tomato)

2 cups of rice

2 apples

2 oranges

1/2 cup of ice cream

and he was asking for more.

This amount ^ is pretty normal for him.

Sometimes no before school food as he will ride with the neighbors.

always eats school breakfast and lunch(which always includes a salad and a fruit)

he will have some kind of snack after school.

We will have dinner - about half the time it is vegiatarian. and if not it always includes a veg.

then he will go eat dinner with the neighbors (they love him)

then sometimes dessert.

Edited to add the fluids he drinks

Should I tell him no more when he asks for more?  Or do I let him eat till he drops? Is this  normal? 

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:16 AM

He is needing more beverages from what i see.  A beverage with each meal and snack will help.   Dehydration can mask itself as hunger in people.  How much water does he drink every day?   How much is he peeing/urinating a day?  The size of meals look ok but very carb heavy even fruits can be carbs.   I would look into more complex carbs and salads to serve everyone.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:23 AM
I too see a ton of fruit and little veggies. I would offer more veggies as snacks and such.... He does not need 2 apples and 2 oranges. Maybe carrot sticjs or something after he has had a piece of fruit if he wants more?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:42 AM
My son will eat a ton too. After his meal is gone if he's still hungry he is told he can have a vegetable. This morning he had 2 full bowls of oatmeal, peanut butter and honey on a rice cake, and 2 cucumbers for breakfast alone. He was ready for lunch an hour later!
But he will eat himself sick given the opportunity.
aetrom
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:57 AM
Adding int hat mine goes through stages when he will eat a ton.... And first grade he suddenly doubled what he would eat. Lol. But i try then to keep the best choices...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-of-three3
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:04 AM
As long as he isn't gaining too much weight it should be fine.
MommyO2-6631
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Offer a cup of water 20-30 minutes before dinner. It helps fill him up a little and aids in digestion.
MommyO2-6631
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:15 AM
My son eats a cup of cereal with two cups milk divided, school lunch a sandwich, half an apple, juice and a cookie (not sure if he eats it all). He'll have an afternoon snack like some carrots with ranch and for dinner he'll have like two ounces of chicken, 1/3 of a cup of green beans and 1/3 of mashed potatoes. Then he'll have an half an apple or banana before bed. He is considered over weight because he is short, but is only in the 50th percentile for weight. Every child is different.
Saharra
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe he's going through a growth spurt again? My 6yr old is doing the same thing. I always make sure to give him a glass of milk with every meal, because that milk with the proteins helps fill the tummy and hold it longer then anything else I have found.
soymujer
by Mikki on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:49 AM

My 8 year old seems to eat a lot and he isn't overweight.  I don't think it'll lead to that either as he's a growing boy and is very active.  The only problem I have is to get him to eat meat like chicken, pork.  He'll eat ground hamburger in pasta dishes, tacos, sloppy joes and chili so I'm not too worried, just wish he would eat other types of meat.

family in the van   Mom of four

PoehlerBear1983
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:14 AM
My kids eat very little.

Ds1 who is 10 will generally have a bowl of cereal for breakfast, whatever school offers for lunch he eats about 75% of his tray and then dinner is some kind of meat and a veggie. If its salad he will eat alot other veggies like green beans or broccoli he will have approx 2-servings based on what a serving size is although i think its a normal amount

Ds2 is 7 and he will generally have 2 pieces pb toast for breakfast, according to the school he rarely eats lunch which is normal for him and then dinner is the same as ds1.

they both like to have popcorn as a evening snack
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)