Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Fat kids and ice cream

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 22 Replies

Should be Mom Confessions, hmm?  We were at school this morning for the annual "Race for Education."   It is a school fundraiser, and the kids run/jog/walk laps around the school for an hour (30 minutes for pre-K).  Yeah, an hour... these kids were wiped out.  One little girl in my daughter's kindergarten class was not able to make ONE lap before stopping to walk, and she did nothing more than creep along the rest of the hour.  She is very fat... and her mom buys her ice cream every day at lunch.  At her parent teacher conference, the teacher told the mom that the girl was throwing away part of her lunch so she would have time to eat her ice cream, and suggested that maybe she didn't need ice cream every day... kid still gets ice cream every day.  Most of the kindergarten/1st grade kids get it once a week (Pizza day is the day most kids seem to get ice cream money).

The poor kid couldn't even jog one lap, and only walked 4 laps, when the  rest of the kindergarten kids made 12 (lowest) to 23 (highest) laps.

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

It really makes me sad to see the overweight kids in school and know what a hard life they are going to have if they don't learn healthy lifestyle choices, and implement them sooner rather than later. Having struggled most of my adult life, I do all I can to help teach my son to make healthy choices and get exercise. 

These kids are some of the ones that get picked on at school......it's sad.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Im some areas, I have heard of CPS being called on severely overweight kids.
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I am heavy, so it just makes me especially sad to see kids being set up this way.  I struggle with my weight, and I hope my kids never do...

MommaTurbo
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM

It makes me sad. I hate that parents set their kids up for a lifetime of health issues like that. 

My kids are not overweight by any means, and i still promote healthy eating habits. That's not to say they dont get treats now and then, but definitely not ice cream every day! 

almburr
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Schools sell ice cream at lunch?
Stevensmomma
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM

So sad something more needs to be done that's not right she's not gonna have a very healthy future if that keeps going on my ds maybe gets ice cream once a month sometimes not even 

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Where I teach we sell ice cream at recess (one grade goes to recess before lunch, mind you). On Fridays they have a snack sale and sell all sorts of junk. Between those sales and our Friday Hat Days (kids pay a dollar to wear a hat all day), those are the main ways we have any money to do anything extra at school. Our families won't do fundraisers but they send all sorts of money for junk. It's sad. But on the flip side, all our students have PE and recess every day. Plus most of our students spend a lot of time outside playing when they aren't at school so our students are rather active.

Quoting almburr:

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM

At our school, you can either order ice cream on the school lunch form (with this, you get a ticket at lunch time that you can exchange for either go-gurt (ugh) or ice cream) or you can buy it ala carte with cash.  Every day... they also have a "snack cart" that comes around on Fridays at morning snack time.  Pre-K through 5 only get snack cart on Friday, but 6-8 get it every day... and it is mostly junk...

Everybody has a snack in the morning, but in the lower grades, parents send the snacks for their kids.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Where I teach we sell ice cream at recess (one grade goes to recess before lunch, mind you). On Fridays they have a snack sale and sell all sorts of junk. Between those sales and our Friday Hat Days (kids pay a dollar to wear a hat all day), those are the main ways we have any money to do anything extra at school. Our families won't do fundraisers but they send all sorts of money for junk. It's sad. But on the flip side, all our students have PE and recess every day. Plus most of our students spend a lot of time outside playing when they aren't at school so our students are rather active.

Quoting almburr:

almburr
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM
That's kind of neat. I've never heard of schools selling treats. We also have PE everyday for and hour and recess twice a day.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Quoting almburr:

Megzboys
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

wow, ice cream every day?  That is too much.    My boys only get it for special occasions or when we dine out.   Of course my boys can easily be distracted by healthier treats most of the time.    That child's mom needs to see the truth of her child's health issues.   Is the mom heavy also?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)