Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Three Kiddos ALL IN SCHOOL

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hello everyone! My name is Melanie and I have three littles that are in elementary school. I have a DS in fifth grade and man this year is HARD. He is very smart and brings home straight A's on his report card, but with his behavioral and emotional problems, this year has been trying. I have been at the school almost weekly since school started and we have had multiple disciplinary problems from loss of recess clear to suspension ALREADY!

The second DS is in second grade and does amazing. Again a straight A student, I am happy to say that we have yet to see the inside of the principles office or the loss of recess unless voluntary. Yes, I said voluntary. He is a very compassionate little boy and has a friend with MR and will give up his recess to help his friend with work that needs to get done.

Last, but far from least, my DD is in first grade and doing wonderfully......if she wasn't a chatty cathy that is. Everyday she loses recess because she can't seem to keep trying. She did try real hard and actually had one whole week of all of her recess and was so proud of herself. Then, apparently being good and quiet wasn't fun anymore because she is right back to where she started with talking all the time. She is a good student, but I have a really hard time getting her to do her homework. Her compliance level is at almost 0% so I feel bad for her teacher and teachers to come.

Welp, those are my my littles. I look forward to telling everyone more about the crazy antics and situations they put themselves in throughout these next few months. I am really excited to hear about all of your little ones, make some new friends, meet some new people. This is gonna be fun!

Awesome Mamafamily car

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SahmTam
by Tammy on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Hi Melanie! I'm Tammy and also have 3 kids, also 2 boys and a girl. My oldest son is in his first year of middle school (7th grade here), daughter is in 4th grade, and youngest son is in 3rd grade. It's been a pretty good year so far! I hope the rest of your school year gets easier. Welcome to the group!

meam4444
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Welcome to the group!!  :-)

littleleesmom
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Hello Melanie, other than punishment has anything been done to help your 5th grader? I took in a foster a while back that had behavior issues talking to the school therapist really helped all she needed was downtime with someone to talk to.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM

welcome     I have 3 kids also- ds1 is 14 and in 9th gr, ds2 is 9 and in 4th gr, and dd is 7 and in 2nd gr.

Is your oldest getting any help for his issues? That's great that he is doing well grade-wise.

Sounds like your middle one is a totally sweetheart.

My dd is also a talkative one! We've been lucky, though- she didn't really get in trouble in half-day kindergarten for it, but did a little bit in 1st gr. She got a talking to at home each time. That seems to have stuck w/ her b/c she hasn't gotten in trouble for that at all this school yr. Have you tried rewarding your dd at home for a good day w/ no talking out-of-turn at school? Maybe a sticker on a chart, then at the end of the week, if she gets stickers every school day, she gets a treat- an extra story at bed time, stay up an extra 10 mins on a non-school night, picking the movie for family movie night, etc.

urbpro
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Welcome! I have 5 in Elementary school right now and I am so thrilled to have all my littles in the same school finally :o) I have a ds in 4th grade, twin dd's in 3rd grade and twin dd's in Kinder :o)

Supermama2013
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM

My oldest was in  head start in a different school district and my middle started head start in a different district too. But the second year came for him, our school started pre-k in the school. So his second year and both of my daughters years were all in the same school. For a while, they were all in the same hallway. Pre-k in next to kindergarten and third grade is at the other end of the hallway. Now with the oldest in fifth, the middle in second, and the youngest in first, they are all seperated. I actually really like that because now that they know the school very well, I think it's time for them to become their own little people instead of "Preston's little..." Now when I go over there I hear "HI Preston's mom, or HI Job's mom, or Brena's mom" It's alot nicer knowing they are finding their own ways, the strings can be loosened a little. Both my little ones know if they have a problem , they know exactly where to find their brother at. Now, two years from now and I will probably be uneasy cuz the oldest will be over at our high school leaving the two little ones on their own.

Supermama2013
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM

We have therapists that come into our home to work with him and the two little ones. For the past two months, he wasn't getting the right services he needed so we switched to a different service provider and we are waiting for the new ones to start. He has a lot of anger and aggression issues and family based wasn't doing him any good. He is part of the peer mentouring group in school, participates in the roller coaster program, and talks one on one to the gym teacher for a different program. I am hoping that once his new group starts and we can all game plan and start the new strategy, things will start to look up.

Quoting littleleesmom:

Hello Melanie, other than punishment has anything been done to help your 5th grader? I took in a foster a while back that had behavior issues talking to the school therapist really helped all she needed was downtime with someone to talk to.

Awesome Mamafamily car

Supermama2013
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Little miss chatty cathy, Brena, gets in trouble daily for talking. That girl never shuts up. She talks while she is eating, she talks while she is bathing, she talks while using the bathroom, while cleaning her room, while coloring, even in her sleep. She tells me one day that she is gonna quit talking in school cuz if she keeps losing her recess she is gonna get mad at herself. And for almost two weeks, she did great. But now we are right back to talking all the time again. I don't punish her when she gets home because I see it as, she has already been punished. And losing her recess should be enough for her to stop you would think. BUT NO. I don't yell at her, I just tell her that only she can stop from losing her recess, she is responsible for her own actions. I do make a HUGE deal when she doesn't lose recess though., try to get her to want to not lose it more often. Doesn't really work. I am so used to her incessant talking though, that this is just normal and until she tires of having to stay in while all her friends play, so be it, her loss.

Quoting wakymom:

welcome     I have 3 kids also- ds1 is 14 and in 9th gr, ds2 is 9 and in 4th gr, and dd is 7 and in 2nd gr.

Is your oldest getting any help for his issues? That's great that he is doing well grade-wise.

Sounds like your middle one is a totally sweetheart.

My dd is also a talkative one! We've been lucky, though- she didn't really get in trouble in half-day kindergarten for it, but did a little bit in 1st gr. She got a talking to at home each time. That seems to have stuck w/ her b/c she hasn't gotten in trouble for that at all this school yr. Have you tried rewarding your dd at home for a good day w/ no talking out-of-turn at school? Maybe a sticker on a chart, then at the end of the week, if she gets stickers every school day, she gets a treat- an extra story at bed time, stay up an extra 10 mins on a non-school night, picking the movie for family movie night, etc.

Awesome Mamafamily car

Dodie702
by Doriane on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Welcome to the group! I'm Doriane and I have 2 kids; Alyna is 5 and Anthony is 4. :)
soymujer
by Mikki on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM

welcome  I'm Mikki and I have four kids.  I have one in college already!  One a freshman in high school, an 8th grader and a 2nd grader.  All of them do well in school.  My youngest is ADD so school is a struggle but now that we are managing his ADD, he is doing well.  In fact, he just got put in the upper reading level!

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN