Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

8 year old is addicted to the computer!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 16 Replies

My 8 year old son is a computer addict.. he'd rather watch Youtube and play videogames then read and do homework! Since he is so used to doing this everyday, how can I break this cycle and get him more interested in learning? I want to take him away from the games and read more, but how? He was retained back in KG and is in second grade now. He has a speech problem so he doesn't really speak like a normal 8 year old.. but kind of like a 3 year old. He is capable of learning but chooses to play games instead. I need help! I really want him to succeed and pass this school year. I want him to read at his grade level. Thankyou! Also, if you can recommend any learning sites or learning strategies it would be great!

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tammy_lynne
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this

My son is a visual learner, he actually learns better on a computer or our kindle.. We have him on ABC mouse, but he's in kindergarten. I think your son might be too old for that. 

You could talk to the teacher about learning websites as well.

Also, limit his time on it. Weekends, my son is allowed two hours in the morning (all abc mouse) and one hour before bed of whatever game he chooses (within reason). If he freaks out about the computer being taken away, he gets the privilege taken away for a day or more (I add one day for every time I have to ask him to shut it off). 

Also, get some age approperate board games. My son is more than happy to shut of the computer, if I say we can play battle ship or Chutes and Ladders. 

jamianne
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Take the computer away.

No computer time until homework and chores are completed - properly, not just rushed through.  No computer time until he's read for at least 20 minutes each day.  Find books that are on topics he's interested in that are on his reading level.  When he's allowed computer time, limit it to X amount of time each day.  What other things does he enjoy other than playing on the computer?  Encourage those interests and activities.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Turn off the computer...no brainer @@

All electronic time mist be "bought" 1 minute of reading =1 minite game time
Or
Get reading comp workbooks at Barnes n Noble (about$6) and for each one he completes (takes my ds about 30 minutes), he get 1/2-1 hr games
cjsbmom
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM

My son is a visual learner as well. But he also is just plain addicted to electronics. It happens to both kids and adults. 

We limit the amount of time he's permitted to use his Kindle, be on the computer, watch TV and play other electronics (such as the Wii). He's not very happy about it, but he also knows that if he doesn't listen, he loses his privileges altogether. 

You could start by telling your son that there will now be limitations. Explain that you should have instituted them from the start, but didn't realize that it would be an issue until now. That way, you are making it your fault and not his. He's less likely to get defensive if you come at this from the viewpoint that you screwed up by not setting limits from the get go. Then very clearly outline the limits for electronics and spell out consequences if he doesn't follow the guidelines. If you have to, put a password on the computer and other devices so that he cannot use them unless you unlock them. 

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM
You choose what he'll do. He is used to choosing, so it will be rough waters. Better to start now than later or never.
Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I'm just going to copy/paste my reply from your other post with the exact same question.

Seriously limit his tech time until he can read on grade level. Don't take it away completely or he will just refuse to even try. My son is also 8 and loves his tablet, laptop, and video games. HOWEVER, he has to read to me every night. He hates it, but guess what... too damn bad.

You say that he is capable of learning but chooses to play games instead. That is not HIS choice. That is YOUR choice, MOM. He will cry and complain, and probably call you names, too, but this is normal. If you do not instigate and enforce these changes, they will not happen. GL.

Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM

All of this, plus put a limit on screen time on weeknights and/or daily.

Quoting jamianne:

Take the computer away.

No computer time until homework and chores are completed - properly, not just rushed through.  No computer time until he's read for at least 20 minutes each day.  Find books that are on topics he's interested in that are on his reading level.  When he's allowed computer time, limit it to X amount of time each day.  What other things does he enjoy other than playing on the computer?  Encourage those interests and activities.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Get rid of the computer!  Seriously.  He is 8.  You own the computer, not him!  Of course he would rather play games and watch videos over doing homework.  Who wouldn't? 

Not only do computers take time away from a child doing the things he should be doing - homework, reading, playing, playing outside, it also changes teh way kids (people) receive information and makes them want to get everythign quickly and automatically.  A child needs to learn to connect with people and nature and learn to problem solve (in the real world, not on games!) in order to be a productive adult.

lovemymini
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Switch to learning games and limit youtube time.

Readingeggs.com is one of my favorite sites for DS.. they have apps for your phones too!

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Who's running the house- you or him? Take the electronics away. Take them away for about a week and then make him earn time by reading, doing homework, chores, good attitude, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)