Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: Good morning all new to the group I have a...

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM
  • 45 Replies
Good morning all, new to the group. I have a question about school. My 12-year old son is having trouble in school and I have tried to contact his teacher who will not respond to me, I have also met with the principal and she told me she would find out a few things for me and I have yet to hear back from her. He is falling behind and I am trying to find out what I can do. Im not getting anywhere with this. He is a good kid and all the school is doing is punishing him because he is not learning as fast as all the other kids. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsary
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this
The teacher is where to start. Why is the principal ok with the teacher not returning contact with you?
3-babyface
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM

All she said was "I don't know why she hasnt responded"  But then again neither has the principal

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I would be going to the school and not leaving until the teacher saw me and agreed to sit and talk with me. The district did thus with dh's mom and when they finally listened in his junior year, he was a full three years behind on credits and diagnosed with severe dyslexia. Don't let that happen to your child
3-babyface
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM

He is in the 6th grade, and the whole time he was in Elementary he had an IEP. He WAS dismissed from speech when he left elementary school.   When I spoke with the principal I questioned if he could get an IEP in this middle school and she said she would check on it.  It's been a week, I didn't know if I needed to wait a little longer or what I needed to do.  He is constantly being punished at school for his low grades, he now hates school and that breaks my heart.  He has issues with anxiety and low self esteem and this is totally making things worse for him.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like its time to stop being nice. A week is more than enough time for them to look up regulations they should already be familiar with. And yes, he can have an IEP. You can have an iep all the way through your schooling as long as you need one. Though he may benefit more from a 504 than an iep right now. It all depends on what his disabilities are and how he handles them.
3-babyface
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM

What is a 504 ?  I am stumped I have no idea what to say or ask for or anything, I just know this isn't right and I don't know what to do.   He is behind in his reading and always has been.  He has an F in Language Arrts and she just keeps putting more and more work on him because of his grade and he can not catch up.  He failed a vocabulary quiz of 43 words and definitions, and she made him write them 5-times each, it took him 5 1/2 hours, and he came home yesterday and now he has to rewrite them 7-times each.  That is 293 times.  In my opinion this is uncalled for. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Put all communication in writing and cc: the teacher, or incipal and student services for your district. Do it either by emqil, registeres us mail or hand walk it in and make them sign your copy that it was received.

Since he had an IEP I would request a full evaluation for aetvices, again, in writing. By law they have 30days to begin an evaluation.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

First question, was his IEP only for speech or were there academic accomodations too?  Second, have you spoken with his counselor yet?  In a middle/high school, typically if you contact anyone that doesn't have the student daily, i.e. the principal, then it takes a little bit to compile all of the information before getting back to the parent.  You said that he has always been behind in reading, what types of interventions were put in place prior to middle school?

3-babyface
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I always thought his IEP was for speech, reading and math.  In both math and reading he was put into smaller groups so he could go at a slower pace and get more one on one. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I would recommend re-reading it and making sure that reading and math were included.  I suspect if he was exited before leaving elementary that they might not have been.

Quoting 3-babyface:

I always thought his IEP was for speech, reading and math.  In both math and reading he was put into smaller groups so he could go at a slower pace and get more one on one. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)