Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do you get your kids to learn?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 20 Replies

My 8 year old son is a computer addict.. he'd rather watch Youtube and play videogames then read and do homework! Since he is so used to doing this everyday, how can I break this cycle and get him more interested in learning? I want to take him away from the games and read more, but how? He was retained back in KG and is in second grade now. He has a speech problem so he doesn't really speak like a normal 8 year old.. but kind of like a 3 year old. He is capable of learning but chooses to play games instead. I need help! I really want him to succeed and pass this school year. I want him to read at his grade level. Thankyou! Also, if you can recommend any learning sites or learning strategies it would be great!

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Put away the games
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Is this for real!?

ambcortez
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM

You're the mom. You make the rules. No video games, easy as that.

deestyles
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM

yes it's for real? What do you mean? If he is not playing games he'd rather watch TV or play videogames. I need advice.

SciFiMama91
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM

You could start with taking him and letting him pick out some learning games for the system he has. Start reading together every night at bedtime. I let DS pick out one book a month that I buy and we read together. We do a lot of crafts that also happen to encourage learning. You could also speak to his teacher about ideas she/he may have. Good luck, it's great that you're wanting to change things for him.

CMay2CK
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Set up a system for every specific amount of learning time he gets the equivalent on the computer.  AND STICK TO IT!  My six year old would rather spend every waking hour playing games, but he's simply not allowed.  If he takes too long to do his homework (he has one math page a night, should take 15 mins sometimes takes 2 hours) then he loses electronics completely for the rest of the day.  He also must read for 20 minutes every school day.  The key to that is to find books that interest your child.  Not necessarily the same books your teacher will recommend.  Yes, he's not going to be happy about it, but you need to make the changes now.  It will only get harder.  

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Has he been evaluated?  Once the school has a diagnosis they will know how to best teach your son.  Surpizenly your child is very smart he just has difficulties communicating his knowledge.  To receive more therapies for him you can have a child psychologist diagnose him too. 

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM

You are the parent. If you say no tv, computer, video games, then it's what you want, not him.

Engage with him. Find fun learning activities that you can do together. Set up a system of activities and rewards. If he gives you attitude, then he loses priviledges instead of gaining reward points.

Pnukey
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Seriously limit his tech time until he can read on grade level. Don't take it away completely or he will just refuse to even try. My son is also 8 and loves his tablet, laptop, and video games. HOWEVER, he has to read to me every night. He hates it, but guess what... too damn bad.

You say that he is capable of learning but chooses to play games instead. That is not HIS choice. That is YOUR choice, MOM. He will cry and complain, and probably call you names, too, but this is normal. If you do not instigate and enforce these changes, they will not happen. GL.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:39 PM

There are games on the computer as well as various game systems to help a chld to learn.  For PC , I think there is a 3rd grade one for reading and math.   DD loves starfall.com for reading/phonics.  She is in the 2nd grade now and we use it for review.  Rock n Learn is a neat dvd series that approaches every subject in school.  scholastic has books on dvd so he could read along as the narrator reads the story.  The most important thing is when something in real life has words on it, he needs to read them out loud to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)