Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Common Core

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM
  • 292 Replies

I'd like to hear what others think about Common Core.  Have you heard of it, is it affecting YOUR kids? What age and grade are your kids in?  Voice your opinion.  I, personally have a 6 year old 1st grader who is doing ok...so far.   But I'm NOT happy with the way her education is going this year.  Homework that I can't help her with, inappropriate lessons.... I could go on for days.  MY CHILD IS NOT COMMON!!

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Yes, I have heard of it.  No, it's not effecting my kids.  The ONLY thing that I really notice is order in which some math topics are being introduced.  What, may I ask, is inappropriate about the lessons? 

LilliesValley
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I have a first grader and so far it's ok. I only really notice it with math but I do admit I have to look at every math paper she brings home to stay on top of the five different ways to add and subtract. But it seems like they are thoroughly learning it which I hope will lead to dd doing well and understanding higher level math. I also use the ten-ten website to make sure she's meeting the core requirements and over the summer she can work ahead. Its free if you sign up asa tteacher.
JavaMama333
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It's easier to just have anyone with questions about why Common Core is inappropriate to take a few minutes to watch this very informative video.  The ELA portion of Common Core has come under fire with wording of assignments, inappropriate books for 3rd graders assignments.  There is so much wrong with Common Core it's mind boggling!

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM
4 moms liked this

I am proponent of Common Core both as a teacher and as a parent. 

The new materials my school adopted this year to comply to Core ensure that my son will work at his pace and he's getting instruction on the skills he's ready for rather than spending the first half of the year reviewing content he already knew. 

As a teacher the changes in the standards give me more time to focus on the content and ensure the students have multiple exposures to new skills presented in a variety of formats. Around my school and districts teachers are being encouraged to do more hands on, cooperative learning activities to replace whole group lecture. Students are being challenged in their thinking and expected to perform at a much higher level than they were previously. 

Last year I was partially implementing Common Core and the changes I made resulted in the highest student achievement I've ever had. 

Most of the complaints I see online have to do with curriculums that were purchased to comply with Core. The major text book publishers did a very poor job creating materials aligned to standards. When teachers aren't getting good training and have poor materials things aren't going to go well. But that's not the fault of Common Core. That's a breakdown at the local level. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM
6 moms liked this

Quoting JavaMama333:

It's easier to just have anyone with questions about why Common Core is inappropriate to take a few minutes to watch this very informative video.  The ELA portion of Common Core has come under fire with wording of assignments, inappropriate books for 3rd graders assignments.  There is so much wrong with Common Core it's mind boggling!

Common Core doesn't dictate what books students should be reading. It also doesn't have assignments. Those complaints are about curriculum, not Core. 

Core does not have one curriculum associated with it or one it endorses. It's just a list of skills students master at each grade. There's no mandate on how those skills need to be taught. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting JavaMama333:

I watched bits and pieces of that and honestly it's just hogwash. 

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM

My son's kindergarten teacher stated he is doing very well, he is advanced in his subjects.  Having 2-3 pages of homework is a little challenging but I think my son enjoys that challenge because he is so advanced.  My son has high functioning Autism.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM

The more I watch of that video the odder it gets. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM
7 moms liked this
LOL I do NOT need some video. If you have SPECIFIC assignments from YOUR child, then I am all ears, otherwise I am not interested in propaganda.
Quoting JavaMama333:

JavaMama333
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM

In upstate NY where my child goes to school, they are printing out the sheets directly from the modules, they are teaching to the test.  They are NOT allowing for individuality.  They are doing numerous timed math tests daily.  The homework comes home without direction.  Parents are being left in the dark, unable to help their kids with their homework.  Telling them to count on their fingers??? WHY??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)