Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well She Contacted Me...

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM
  • 38 Replies

I posted a few days ago asking for tools to redirect my child from a certain boy in the classroom anyway the boys mother contacted me asking to get together with her so we could talk about it. 

I hope all goes well. I have only met her once, but am hoping that we can come up with other solutions. We are bringing the kids so hopefully we can observe them outside of the classroom and see what it is going on. 

Both the kids are excited and I want to foster her friendship, but get to the root of what the 'obession' is all about. It is coming from his end too apparently.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsbmom
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM

How did she know to contact you? Had you reached out to her previously?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM
2 moms liked this

So..the kid is obsessed with yours..and your answer is to encourage it with a playdate?

I'm lost.

mommy053008
by Maria on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM
We are all in the directory. I'm thinking the teacher emailed her also.

Quoting cjsbmom:

How did she know to contact you? Had you reached out to her previously?

mommy053008
by Maria on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM
No they are "obsessed" with each other. To the point they are secluding themselves. we want to see if this is just a school thing or if it is misunderstood I loved boys when I was little and people used to say that about me too and I just was this kids friend and we had a lot in common...it was harmless.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:So..the kid is obsessed with yours..and your answer is to encourage it with a playdate?
I'm lost.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM

good luck.  They may end up being life long loves.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Nowhere in your original post did I see your child was a girl and it was a boy/girl thing.

I would NOT try to solve this by a playdate. Both kids need to be told what the expectations are for kids in their age group and they need to live by them!
cjsbmom
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

When you say excluding others, you mean other kids? If so, I'm not sure I believe in forcing kids to be social with each other. I also don't believe that every child in a classroom  has to be "friends." Yes, they have to treat each other with respect, but they don't have to be friends or even like each other. 

Quoting mommy053008:

No they are "obsessed" with each other. To the point they are secluding themselves. we want to see if this is just a school thing or if it is misunderstood I loved boys when I was little and people used to say that about me too and I just was this kids friend and we had a lot in common...it was harmless.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:So..the kid is obsessed with yours..and your answer is to encourage it with a playdate?
I'm lost.

cjsbmom
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:43 AM

By the way, my son's two favorite friends are girls. And not because he's obsessed with girls. It's because he doesn't like to play rough like the majority of boys his age, so he seeks out the girls, who are a lot calmer. We shouldn't assume that this is a "love" think just because they are of the opposite sex. KWIM?

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:50 AM

My first grade son also likes playing w girls. He does play w boys, but does seem to prefer girls many times, partly because he also isn't as rough as some.

if the behavior wouldn't bother you if they were the same gender, I wouldn't be worried just because they are opposite gender.

Quoting cjsbmom:

By the way, my son's two favorite friends are girls. And not because he's obsessed with girls. It's because he doesn't like to play rough like the majority of boys his age, so he seeks out the girls, who are a lot calmer. We shouldn't assume that this is a "love" think just because they are of the opposite sex. KWIM?

mommy053008
by Maria on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Hahaha maybe. They are both sweet kids. I've just been told its a problem so me and his mom want to figure this out.

Quoting frndlyfn:

good luck.  They may end up being life long loves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)